- advertisement -

Square Wave Help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by blbrocky, Jun 23, 2008.

1. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

Could someone explain how the square-wave option on the pump works?

We have always used the dual-wave for pizza with varied results so my son decided to try the square-wave over two hours and ended up going low. We tried it again the next day and lowered the carb count and increased the duration to three hours and still ended up going low.:eek:

How does this work if you are bolusing 6 units for instance?

Thanks, Becky

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

It takes the 6 units and spreads them over the desired time. If he was going low with a square he would have went really low with a regular bolus, I would assume. So it is just equally distributed over the 2 hours, lets say.

3. aidensmom23

aidensmom23 Approved members

it spreads the insulin evenly over the amount of time that you choose. the difference with the dual wave is that you get a regular bolus up front and then some extra later, again spread out over the amount of time you choose.

4. blbrocky

So he received 3 units the first hour and then another 3 the second?

I feel so stupid when it comes to this.....

Since the dual-wave was hit and miss with him going high hours later and both times with the square-wave he did not go high hours later.

I guess I'm not understanding why the square-wave seems to work for pizza so much better.

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'll use your 3 units as an example- I'll use 50/50% and 3 hours as a time period.

With a dual wave 1.5 (50% or half) is delivered right then and there. The other 1.5 is delivered over a period of 3 hours. 1.5 divide by 3 (hours is) .50. So he's having a 1/2 unit delivered over every hour.

With the square wave the whole bolus is divided over 3 hours. He'd be getting a whole unit (1.0) every hour for 3 hours.

Clear as mud? (That's a quote my Mom uses)

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

7. blbrocky

Thank you, that is what I thought was happening just not really understanding why it works better than the dual-wave for pizza.

Now it's just figuring out the duration.

8. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

BINGO! Duration is KEY!
    If he keeps rising, spread it out.
    If he ends up low, shorten it up (or with a dual wave give more up front)
    If he's high with a dual wave, give more on the tail end.

9. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I have failed terribly at this also. I normally set a reminder on the pump ex: pizza it normally is 4-5 hours before that spike hits and sometimes it doesn't spike. go figure. I have done the dual and she has gone low. So I just set a reminder on the pump or my cell phone to beep at me.. :D

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Pizza is HARD! The only time I've had any success with pizza, he ate a mini-cupcake before the pizza, and one afterward. :rolleyes: I have no idea how to translate that success into a "normal" pizza meal, however!