- advertisement -

Spring has sprung - uncovered carbs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, May 7, 2015.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We have had a lot more lows now that spring is here. Sometimes when the weather is particularly nice my son's teacher will give the kids a second recess mid-morning. This happened on Tuesday and he dropped 120 points in an hour. He was 53 at the pre-lunch check which freaked out both me and the school nurse. (We use nightscout but have been having connectivity issues, which I won't get to here.) Also recess is now that much more intense with the beautiful weather.

I have tried reducing basals but the problem is that it's not always predictable when he will go out and for how long. And, for his body at least, temp basals for activity are not always effective. For instance, he will often go high at recess and then crash three hours later. And then a few hours after that, the return to normal basal will take a long time to get "momentum" so to speak and he'll be high going into dinner which creates a whole host of new problems.

I feel confident in his overall basal profile.

So I'd like to explore using uncovered carbs to manage lows. On Fridays at 2 he has PE and has been getting 10g uncovered ahead of time and we don't see that 3:30 crash.

I need snack ideas - carbs with fat and protein and NO NUTS. So far I've got yogurt tubes and cheese crackers (though the prepackaged ones hardly have any protein).

Also open to any other suggestion about what works for you and your child in managing activity lows in a somewhat organized fashion (if this, then that) that will be easy for the teachers to follow.

TIA!

2. suej

suej Approved members

A small amount of chocolate? Just 10 carbs, about 15g.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Single serve peanut butter? 11g cho, 9g protien. Jiff makes them, I get them at Target. My kids will grab them and a spoon.

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

His classroom and the nurse's office are both nut-free spaces! I have a zillion ideas with nuts in them. That's my dilemma. Heading off to the grocery store now to find some other items. Maybe I can find a nut-free granola bar or something.

Chocolate is a great idea!

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Well, not much that has protein but no nuts, aside from dairy. So we've got chocolate milk (3 oz. = 10g) and yogurt tubes (most are 10g), and the prepackaged club and cheddar crackers (4g per cracker sandwich - and can stay in the classroom because they don't need refrigeration). We'll see if this works!

6. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I like to use Greek yogurt light and fit. It has 9 grams of carbs and double the protein.