- advertisement -

Sports with an Omnipod

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Paula+four, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

My nine year old son's pods keep separating from the pod's adhesive tape when he attends jump rope club. We've tried some tapes and different locations but wanted to find out if anyone has some ideas for this problem. The pod ends up hanging on by just the canula and a little bit of the adhesive up at the top. We didn't have this problem during soccer but the up/down motion seems to be tough on the pods. Thank you for the help.

Paula

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. RBJervey

RBJervey Approved members

I've found that it helps to wrap a bandage around it. You can either use one of the wrap bandages or if it's on an arm I've found the leg bandages work well too. This supports the whole pod instead of just the tape. I hope it helps!

3. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

What brand/kind of tape do you use? Ours doesn't seem to hold well enough. Thanks!

4. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

You could try that Vet-Wrap stuff, it sort of sticks to itself. I comes in 2 or 3 inch widths which would cover the whole pod. Of course, this only works with pods on the arm. We used it on Kathy once and it seemed to work okay.

5. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Is the jump rope hitting the pod and maybe dislodging it?
    Have you tried skin tac or Mastisol? Those are liquid adhesives and are applied before putting the pod on.
    My daughter has no trouble with pods during any activity but for the first few months of wear had some issues in the extreme heat while during karate/sparring in her GI and we used Skin Tac then.

6. deeann

deeann Approved members

We use Hypafix tape to secure the pod. We use strips of tape attached directly from the pod to the skin/adhesive pad to secure it better when needed. This prevents the pod from coming loose from its own adhesive pad. There are a few threads with pictures if you do a search.

I've read that other people use an ace bandage or something similar over the pod on an arm or leg. I've also read about wearing UnderArmour shorts or shirts to "support" the pod during sports. For a while my son was wearing cut-off tube socks over the pod on his arm.