advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports or other Physical Activities for Toddlers with T1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dayeandclaud, May 19, 2017.

1. Dayeandclaud

Dayeandclaud New Member

Hi everyone,

I have been researching trying to get my son involved in some sport type activity where he can get some much needed exercise. He's 3. He was diagnosed last February 29th, at 2 years of age. He uses Dex G5 and Omnipod. He has 4 brothers, but they don't run around and chase him or each other as much as I would like. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any soccer leagues, or other physical sport activities that are diabetes friendly...or specifically for Toddlers with diabetes? I live in Fredericksburg, VA.

Any info anyone has would be great.

Thanks!
    ClaudnDaye

2. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

You are a lucky parent of 5 (!!) boys if they don't run around and chase each as much as you would like! :))

Another CWD parent asked last week about managing T1 in toddler gymnastics -- I gave a couple of suggestions here (and I really hope others chime in too!): https://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?78646-Gymnastics-settings

I don't have specific local leagues to suggest in your area, but I instead would say just sign him up for whatever sounds fun. There are an extremely small number of pursuits where T1D is a reason not to try something, especially with the CGM. At ages 2 and 3, my daughter took rec center classes in swimming and gymnastics, as well as on an indoor rock wall and on the ski mountain's magic carpet. The only difference that T1 makes is that we've never dropped her off at classes or practices, so there is an inconvenience factor for us parents, especially when you have other kids involved in activities. I or my husband stick around on the sideline and watch the Dex and sometimes stick a glucose tab in her mouth, or give her a little bolus if we've turned her basal down too much and she's trending high (not to mention running interference to monitor those annoying post-game snacks and juice boxes that can spike a beautiful post-game CGM trace). We found that the exercise effect on bg was unpredictable from week to week when she was very young, but that it's becoming more predictable as she gets older, and also now that she's picked a couple of sports to stick with for a while.

I hope you find something fun for him!

3. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I agree with Snowflake. There is no reason not to try any activity that your son might be interested in. Like she said, the only real difference for my daughter is that I do stick around at practice or at least I stay in the park and exercise while she is practicing. My daughter was a little older when she was diagnosed at 7, but during that time she has done dance, competitive soccer, basketball, running club and swim team. We have more post-exercise lows, maybe 8-12 hours after than we do while she is actually engaged in activity, but it has become fairly predictable. We started swim team for the first time this week and it has had a pretty profound effect on her BG, more than other sports so far.

Good luck finding a great activity!!!