- advertisement -

Sports and testing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NatBMomto4, May 23, 2011.

1. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Andrew had a soccer game on Saturday, and it was hot during his game. We don't usually go up to him during games to have him test, but we were worried about the heat since we also just increased his Lantus a few nights ago, so at half-time, my husband walked over and had Andrew test. One of the referree's asked him "what is your business here?" and Erik told him he was having his son who is diabetic test and then he would be right out of there. Andrew's # was great and that was it. Andrew said that at the end of the game (40 minutes later) just before high-fiving the other team, that ref approached Andrew and asked him which hand he had tested with. Andrew told him and the ref told him he was not to high five anyone with that hand. This didn't bother Andrew, but when he told me about it, it bothered me a little. Not enough to make a big deal with the ref, but enough to ask you guys if you have had similar things happen. I mean, it had been over 1/2 hour since Andrew tested...did that man really think Andrew was still bleeding from a tiny prick of the finger? And what about bloody noses or injuries on the field - are those kids told not to touch anyone, too? I just felt that Andrew was singled out unneccessarily.

Again, I know in the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal - I am just curious about your experiences. Usually the refs are great, and his coaches have all been fantastic. This comment just struck me as ignorant.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If this is a ref who will be doing more of his games I would for sure take him aside either before or after the next game and politely educate him on the realities of diabetes care.

3. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

That would have ticked me off, but I guess you'll just have to contribute it to lack of knowledge on his part. My DD plays soccer and we test her before, at half time, and after the game. We have never had any issues, yet! We had this older kid referee one time with my non-d's team and he gave her a hard time with her newly pierced ears that had band aids over them and made her take them off or she couldn't play. I was SOOO mad! I would just blow it off unless it happens again. He has no business telling your son that! I agree with you, he's just ignorant!

4. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Yes, I agree with Chris. You point about bloody noses and other sports related injuries is a valid point and I would feel my child was singled out.

Eta, Josh plays soccer always tests before and during the game/practice if feeling low. I have walked over and asked him to test at half time as well.

5. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Ref'ing as a power trip ... just an ass who wants to be in control of things.

Sean's played soccer, basketball and baseball. The only issue we've ever had was a baseball ref who thought he was wearing a pager on the field; Sean explained that it was just an external pancreas, and the ref apologized and they got on with the game. Before the sensor we checked Sean's BG in the dugout several times a game - never a problem, just curious teammates.

Some of the adults involved in youth athletics are just in it for the wrong reasons.

6. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I do believe the Ref was on a power trip...we have NEVER in 4 seasons had anyone say anything...

7. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

I would be really furious, and would straighten this guy out by contacting him during the week before the next game (after I calmed down a bit) and give him some information.

You know what I hate? How we are basically thrown to the wolves trying to explain the rudimentary basics of this condition to the people around us, with no support. I wish endocrinologists would supply every type 1 parent an an info sheet we could show to teachers, coaches, refs, school admin people, youth group leaders and even friends. I am sick of being treated like an idiot, because of basic things that are so misunderstood. Like blood sugar needs to be checked, they can eat birthday cake, being sick is a double whammy, that they can't be sent to the clinic alone if the are low, etc etc etc <insert your favorite extremely exasperatingly stupid misunderstanding here>

I even got the Halle Barry fairy tale from a couple people I was at a party with last Friday night. And I think the people listening had no idea who was right, me or the people claiming that type 1 diabetes could be cured by diet ad exercise, since Halle Barry "cured" hers. For reals.

8. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann played volleyball, basketball and softball and we never had a problem. I agree with what Chris said. If blood was the issue, then any girls with their periods wouldn't be able to play at that time either.

9. minniem

minniem Approved members

I may be in the minority here, but maybe the ref was just misinformed? He probably just didn't want him to expose other people to his blood not realizing that at that point his finger would definitely not be bleeding still. I'm finding out a lot of people are just clueless when it comes to diabetes management. Unless the ref was snarky about it, then I would say he's on a power trip.

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We have never had that happen, but Seth tests his arm. If it makes oyu feel any better...No one is allowed to play soccer with blood on their shirt. Coaches around here have to keep an extra shirt for that reason.

11. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

In lacrosse, it's common for refs to send anyone with a bleeding wound to the sideline (even a scrape). That's just the training they receive. He probably extrapolated to pricked finger, which is silly of course.

If anyone contacts the ref (or his superior), it should be the coach not the parent.

12. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Yes, you wouldn't want Andrew to get an infection it his teeny tiny finger prick from a high five. You never know where the other players hands have been. :rolleyes:

13. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Exactly what I would do, but I don't know if I could be so polite about it..That comment would really get under my skin. Good luck:) Hope it all turns out well.