- advertisement -

Sports and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

I'm glad to hear Daniel's numbers are running pretty good - I was told by our educator that if Jacob was running high after heavy sports activity, to treat with only half the amount of insulin, to prevent a low later(that seems to have worked pretty well for us). Also, since his practices run pretty late into the evening, I give 10 grams of free carbs before bed (something that includes a bit of protein, like peanut butter and crackers).

This is the first year I've felt comfortable leaving Jacob at practice (he has his meter and glucose tabs available - so far so good).

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 12-10

2. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

As a sports day today we gave half unit less for lunch and dinner..Right now his lantus check he is 80(after dinner 2hours). So we are doing the 30 carb snack(we have been doing this about 3 weeks now.) With his 1/2 unit of novolog and 6 units of lantus. Earlier after lunch at dd's game he was complaining of headache, i tested he was 71...not low low yet, so I gave him 2 tabs..and that was with half unit less for lunch. So far we have avoided a bad lows....just want to keep him stready.