- advertisement -

Sports and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Jul 19, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

My son Daniel 10 just diagnosed, has always been active in soccer and baseball. The doctor gives the okay to continue. But I am the one all worried...Season won't start till late next month. I don't know if I"m ready to deal with it...Do any of you have your children in active sports? And how has it been going? I don't want to stop my son for going forward with what he likes and I know exercise is a major yes during times like this. But since I don't know how his body will be responding(more so with the soccer)..I am just in a panic about things.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Sports is great for kids -- even with diabetes. Until he gets in and starts playing, you won't know how he will react. Some kids go high during exercise, then low afterwards. It won't take more than a couple of days before you know his patterns.

My son drink a gatorade without bolusing and then exercises as expected. At dinner, he gets less insulin and a hearty snack at bedtime.

3. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

My ds just turned 4 so we aren't in any organized sports but riding a bike or swimming is enough exercise to keep me on my toes. I will say go on with the sports. Come extra prepared to treat lows. Give an uncovered snack before he starts to play. Eventually you will know exactly how many uncovered carbs he needs to get through the game.

It's all going to be trial and error in the beginning. The first of everything is scary while dealing with d. The first few months we only ate things with carb counts on the package or that I could accurately weigh. Now I can eye ball a carb count on just about any food.

Remember he is a kid before a diabetic and he can do anything the other kids on the team can do. It's just going to take a little more preparation. Good luck you will be a d soccer mom pro in no time :)

4. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

My son Andrew was dx'd a year ago in March, three weeks before his 12th birthday. His first question to the endo the day he was dx'd was "Can I still try out for the school baseball team next week?" She promised him he would be at tryouts - and he was. Eight days after dx, tryouts began. I was a nervous wreck - sending him back to school (he had been out the entire week before) AND tryouts all in the same day!!! He made the team as starting catcher! And the season went by with no problems. We learned a lot and made alot of calls to the endo during those first months. I met with the coach, who was incredibly supportive - he even exchanged cell phone numbers with me!

We try very hard not to let Diabetes ever be the reason we don't let Andrew do something. He is an athlete - he was one before D, he is still one today. Diabetes robs our children of so much - don't let it take something that they love and that is so good for them in so many ways away from them, too. I know it is hard, but believe me, the first few months really are the worst. This forum was a lifeline for me in those first months - we are all here to support you! Good luck!

5. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

I can understand your being nervous with such a recent diagnosis - but rest assured, your son should be able to participate in any sport or activity regardless of his diabetes.

My son Jacob, age 9, was dx since age 3 and has always participated in team sports since Kindergarten (soccer and basketball are his favorites!) - I actually find more activity keeps his BG's a little more in check for us. Some precautions I like to take: Test before the activity - I usually provide a small snack that includes carb and protein, test during the practice/game and ALWAYS have some form of fast acting sugar on hand. I've gotten to the point where I feel comfortable leaving Jacob for an hour practice with his test kit and glucose tablets (of course, the coach is aware of his condition). I also make sure to test during the night as the activity can affect his BG's hours later.

Best of luck - it does get easier!

Stephanie, mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, Pumping with MM since 12-10

6. danielsmom

What are uncovered carbs? Just the extra energy he may need to get going?
    If you child has tested low during a game, have you had to sit him out until he's back to normal and has your coach had problems with these interruptions?

7. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Uncovered carbs are carbs eaten with no insulin taken to cover them. They will burn those carbs in their physical activity.

Andrew has never gone low during a game. For him, adrenaline (the competition and the desire to WIN!) make him go high. His lows come 4-6 hours later, so we test often during the night after games. He has, however, gone low during practices. He tests, takes sugar, waits a few minutes, tests again, and rejoins the practice. No one makes a big deal about it - not even the coaches. I have found all of Andrew's coaches to be very supportive and understanding.

8. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden has been active in most everything...cheerleading, gymnastics, soccer, track...and has done great. Like the previous poster, she is competitive and wants to win, so her adrenaline shoots her up high. Our only issues with persistent highs came when she was staying disconnected from her pump for long periods of time and not making up the basal. Otherwise, she spiked up high and then came back down. If she has been running during the day, she will usually go low overnight, so I have to watch that timeframe carefully. DO the overnight checks, especially during sports seasons. Your DS will do great!

9. danielsmom

Okay so it seems usually numbers run high when doing excessive sport like soccer..then dips at night....so when numbers run high after the game, do you correct, or leave alone( I will be asking my doctor all this on next visit).....and so knowing you will have lows at night, you end up checking around midnight? and end up giving some juice..since this is the pattern? Usually?....

10. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

I was just on the phone talking to the endo about soccer today. We are having trouble with the now 1 1/2 hour practices. First he was going low, now he's going too high. With her advice I have a new plan. For us sports are like everything else with diabetes, you just keep working at making adjustments despite things constantly changing as he grows.

You can do it though and it is so worth it for the kids. Good luck!

11. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

My son is now 10 and was diagnosed at 6 years old at the end of the summer. He also plays tournament baseball and township and travel soccer...so he is always playing or practicing. I truly believe that the best thing that came from his diagnosis when it happened was that he was already signed up for soccer...in fact he missed the first pre-season tournament b/c he was just getting out of the hospital....but he wanted to play as soon as the doctor gave the OK the following week and we didn't want to stop him even though we were scared to death. We just did and still do a lot of checking...especially for soccer....pre-game, half time and end of the game. If his sugar is higher he just drinks Propel...if it is in the 100's we put him on a temp basal (on his pump) and he drinks G-2 (less carbs than regular Gatorade). When he was on shots we still used G-2 and always carry Skittles...we sometime give him 6 or 7 if he is in the low 100's at half time...b/c he can chew them quickly and we are disrupting him as much. He gets his sugar check during the half time meeting with the coach and the team sometimes has to be reminded to pay attention to the coach and not Cameron's blood sugar testing :) Baseball we just check pre and post game unless he is acting sluggish or not himself.
    Regardless of sports we always check him 2x a night and treat accordingly. Best wishes to you all,
    Stephanie

12. danielsmom

All your strength and Positivity amaze me.. I hope to empower myself too with all that I am learning from you all...

13. danielsmom

My son is not on a pump yet...but from many of you I am hearing many good things...so this soccer season he will just be on reg shots etc.....maybe by the time he gets a pump...I'll ease up on my fears...I have a lot of questions to ask the doctor on our first follow up in August...and I will be talking with president of our AYSO...and make sure Daniel is accomodated....

14. Rocky Mountain Mom

Rocky Mountain Mom Approved members

First of all, I am sorry to hear about this recent diagnosis. There is SO much to take in, and I am glad you found the forums! The people here really helped me when our son was diagnosed this past February, and they continue to offer their support!

Secondly, I want to tell you that I believe Daniel will be able to be active, and live a life full of athletics, but the adjustments may take some time.

In our case, our 9-yr. old son is a distance runner. He trains three days a week, and runs half-marathons (13.1 miles). This recent diagnosis has presented major challenges for us, as we run first thing in the morning, and getting the BG levels to be right on -- with some, but not too much, insulin on board -- has proven to be tricky so far. I am confident that with lots of trial and error, we will dial in on what works for him. Someday. :)

You are not alone. There are lots of places online to find encouragement for T1 athletes. Hang in there. It always helps to remember the phrase, "One day at a time." :) Best wishes!

15. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My son has been playing sports since the week after he got home from the hospital after being diagnosed at age 6.

He has never run into any type of problems from coaches or other players. They have been nothing but supportive of him. He tests before games or practices and immediately after. He will also test if he feels lows during a game or practice.

Depending on the sport, he manages his diabetes differently. Some sports he drinks G2 during practice, others just water, most games he will only drink water (unless running low beforehand)

I am not sure what you are looking for in terms of him being accomadated. Personally, all I have every asked for is that the coach would respect the fact that he would never use his diabetes as an excuse to get out of doing something, so NEVER to refuse him to test or treat. Until the two past seasons I have always been at the field, so that the responsibility of Tylers safety in terms of his diabetes was on ME and not the coaches. Now that he has had the same coaches for many years and they know him both on and off the field, I feel confident not lurking around during practices.

Having diabetes has never stopped Tyler from playing any type of sport
    or any position on the team.

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm not going to lie...It's a pain. But, totally worth it. Please don't stop oyur son from playing sports. He could resent D even more and rebel BIG TIME. Maybe this will help.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20211&highlight=Gatorade+trick+explained

17. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Cameron was also on shots when we went right into soccer season...just stock up on water, Propel, G-2, Juicy Juice small boxes and Skittles (or any quick candy to bring up a low). We switched to the Omnipod 3 months after diagnosis but he did do shots the entire 1st soccer season. With soccer I definitely recommend checking at halftime...we just run across the field "armed" with his supplies...meter, lancet device, juice box and skittles in case they are needed. With soccer b/c of all the running...sugars can change quickly. Starting the game with a blood sugar in the higher 100's isn't a bad thing (give a 15 carb snack to bring up if is lower than that 1/2hr before the game)....we used peanut butter crackers before heading to the field at home for warmups. Then we checked about 10 minutes prior so that we could give a juice box/candy if needed...then he should be fine until half-time. The only thing I got from your township was a letter to stating that Cameron had Type 1 Diabetes and his medical ID (which is silicone) was not jewelry and could be worn during games. Other than that...we have had no issues. Good luck

18. somanybakers

somanybakers Approved members

Lucas has been on both the pump and on shots and has always played travel soccer, baseball and basketball. He prefers being on shots to the pump during sport seasons. He likes to give insulin via syringe or pen and not have to worry about the infusion site when using a pump. We have never asked for special accomodations and he hasnt needed them. All of his coaches have been fantastic. On one occasion we are aware that he was not considered for an All Star position because of his "issue" but thier loss! Another time an umpire stopped the game and insisted he out his "phone" in the dugout. After a quick explanation the umpire resumed the game with a bit of a red face, lol.

We make sure he has lots of water, Gatorade and G2, nuts, protein/energy bars and his testing kit and insulin. We have never had a problem that he couldnt handle ope he enjoys a great season!

19. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

Trevor doesn't play soccer or football, but he races Atv's. He started racing a couple of months before he was dxd (he was 4), when he was in the hospital, the only thing he was concearned with was being able to race. He got out of the hospital on Wed, & raced, Fri,Sat, & sun...and won all three races! I was scared to let him do it, but I didn't want him to feel like he couldn't do it because of D...4 years later, he's still racing, has a few National Championships, and about 16 or so local ones :)

20. danielsmom

Boy it seems like I askes this a long time ago. Daniel has been doing well. His numbers are really good. I've learned he needs about 1/2 unit less of insulin after playing or practicjng hard if he's eating shortly there after or before his game if he will peak right during. Learnes that when I took him to practice after early dinner. Half hour into practice he asked me to check him. He was 77. Told him to drink his 15c of yogurt. He didn't want to, so I was forced to ask coach(who is type2. ), to tell him he needed to push his numbers up a little. Daniel listened and no problems after. He really is doing well pkaying. I still worry lots, but am more confident in the decisions I make about how to treat his d on those days.