- advertisement -

Split bolus question for pizza

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tracy1918, May 11, 2010.

  1. Tracy1918

    Tracy1918 Approved members

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Messages:
    365
    The last time we tried pizza, I gave Matthew his insulin after the meal. His number was fine at 2 hours post meal, and then went high 4-5 hours later.

    I've heard people talk about a split bolus. How do you do it?

    Would I give half before the meal and the rest later? How much later?

    Thank you for the help....I love pizza, so we have to figure this out! :)
     
  2. MTMomma

    MTMomma Approved members

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2009
    Messages:
    242
    DS is on daily injections. We had an appointment today and asked the nutrition team about that. They said some people do 70% of the insulin amount when they eat the pizza and then 30% later. I have also heard of 50% and 50% later. We have tried waiting to let some of the pizza digest and giving the insulin then. If you find what works you are ahead of us. we have been at this many years and pizza still means crazy BG numbers for that day and even the next. Good luck. Maybe others have ideas.
     
  3. canadianmomto6

    canadianmomto6 Approved members

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    Messages:
    181
    When Liam was on MDI we would give him 75% upfront. We would then test at 2 hours and every hour after that and when we saw his numbers starting to go up we would dose for the other 25%. It wasn't always predictable when his numbers would start to rise, but using this method we could get his numbers back in good range by breakfast.
     
  4. Christopher

    Christopher Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    Messages:
    6,771
    This is one of those trial and error things. There are two main factors at play, the amount of each dose and the time between doses. You will have to tweak both factors and see what works the best. I still haven't figured it out...:eek: Start with 50/50 and then if that doesn't work try raising either one, little by little. I would give it at least 3 hours between doses. One thing I try and do is to have her eat very thin crust pizza, that does help with the spike. Good luck...
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice