- advertisement -

Spirit Airlines?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We have had a last-minute family situation come up necessitating booking air travel on a very short fuse. The only remotely affordable ticket is on Spirit (I know, I know...)

I'm trying to figure out how their insanely restrictive carry-on policy applies to medical supplies, as we're trying to minimize the quick-mounting tab of extras on this ticket. It looks like Spirit makes allowances for diaper bags. Has anyone flown Spirit with their CWD and know if Spirit charges for carrying on a D supply bag? I'm guessing the ADA says they can't, but I am also interested in hearing anyone's direct experience.

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We flew spirit a year ago and she was allowed to carry a backpack with her supplies, it was considered a personal item, so no charge. Don't know if anything has changed. Most airlines allow you a personal item.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm pretty sure ALL airlines must allow individuals with disabilities free transport of their medical necessities. It's either a FAA or TSA thing but it's federal law or policy. So you can have a designated medical bag but that bag cannot contain non medical items. Hope that helps.

4. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Thanks to you both!

It looks like Spirit does allow all passengers a small personal item, but I was expecting that she could take the diabetes supply bag plus the personal item, so that she can also carry an activity bag with no charge like any other kid.

SarahMaddie'sMom, I'm almost positive you're right about the federal regs. I tracked down at least one relevant federal regulation that says that "assistive devices" should not count toward an airline's carry-on bag limit, http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/382short.pdf ; and I think I will assume that various supplies in her D bag qualify as that. At this point, I think I've spent more time than it's worth trying to avoid a $20 carry-on charge, and we'll just see what happens at the airport!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I don't think I've ever flown Spirit, but I've flown a fair amount both in the US and internationally and always packed my daughter's D stuff in one bag and "declared" it at security as a medical supply bag and never once been given a second glance. Just don't put general things in and you should be fine. Oh, and I do always pack a second D kit sans insulin in a checked bag ( if you end up checking) just in the event that the medical bag is lost or stolen. Hope all goes well. :)