- advertisement -

Spin off of overnight testing~strip question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by theamusingredhead, Apr 14, 2011.

1. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

We are going to run out of strips at least 2 months before the end of the year. :eek:

We are able to refill early but only have 2 3 month refills left.

We test a lot, we are still tweaking basal rates and insulin to carb. Many times Oliver will feel a low coming and test but his BG is 100, then keep testing until it comes down.

Our insurance only covers 10 strips per day. What does everyone do when you run out? I have had to buy a box to hold me over for a few days and it was a fortune. Any suggestions?

2. Deal

Deal Approved members

Our insurance covers as long as our dr prescribes it. We had to ask our dr. to prescribe more early on.

3. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

We were running out before the end of the month last fall, so I had our endo write a prescription for more strips. We had to get it pre-authorized with the insurance company (so don't wait until the last minute), but had not problem getting it approved once the endo submitted the paperwork.

You can also ask you doctor, or a local diabetes organization if there is one in your area, for samples if you get in a bind. Our doctor was able to give us a couple of boxes while we got the pre-authorization to go through.

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

same here..Just ask your doctor for another script calling for more strips..:) Hope that works for you:)

5. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

10 strips a day is the max we get per day with pre authorization. Otherwise, I think it would be closer to 6. The endo can write all the scripts she wants and I can argue all I want. The max is 10. So....

I simply by a few vials of strips for the Tru Track meter each year. Endo visits are once every 3 months. They look at only the last month of numbers though. So, if I am in a month that will not be looked at by the endo I use the cheap (comparatively) strips so as to build up my supply of One Touch. By the way, the last time I bought the Tru Track strips, I had a CVS birthday coupon for something like 20% off. Buying during those sorts of opportunities can certainly help.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yes, you can't get more than 300 per month on your current RX, but if you were to get them at a retail pharmacy instead of mail order (if you are able) most insurance companies allow for refills every 24 days, which means you can fill the RX 15 times over 12 months.... which is like getting an extra 3 months worth and it allows testing 12.5 times per day.

To get more than 300 a month on the RX itself, there is a process to get a pre-authorization, generally it involves your endo faxing some forms to your insurance including a letter of medical necessity for why you need more than 10x per day. It's not impossible to get, but it does take a bit of coordinating.

7. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

This is what we do. Our ins allows us to fill our rx every 23 days. I do this religiously whether we "need" them or not so that I know we always have what we need. This is the main reason I have not gone to mail order. I can fill my rx 4 times in the same 90 day period.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

BTW, I'm not sure how my Endo did it, but my strip RX doesn't have a limited number of refills.. when I look at Walgreens online it simply says "YES" under refills... so it doesn't matter if I fill it 12 times or 15 times over the course of the year, I won't run out of refills :) (the RX does expire after one year though).

9. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Another T1 I know of lost her insurance, so she enlisted the help of family, friends and co-workers...basically everyone she knows.

Each person orders the trial meters from various companies, when they are delivered they give them to her (meters usually come with 10 strips each.)

Not a perfect solution since I don't know that you could accumulate enough to cover 2 months, but you could probably get enough to save at least $100 anyway.

10. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

Thank you everyone

There are some great ideas in this thread. I need to do more legwork to see if I can refill over 24 days and try to get my insurance to cover a higher amount of strips. I also need to check out the cheap meter mentioned. I need ot get a new back up meter anyway.

Thanks!

Kariann