- advertisement -

Speaking of infusion sets...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rgcainmd, Apr 25, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter and I have decided to go with the T-Slim and then will cut the cord to get Omnipod. My daughter is 11.75 years old, is moderately thin, is honeymooning, and will likely be entering puberty in about 6 months tops (judging from the size of her "mosquito bites"). Based on this information and your own experiences, can anyone help us out with suggestions regarding which infusion set we should try first?

Many thanks in advance! I'm almost ashamed to admit that the responses we received to my post about my daughter's impending transition to pumping brought tears of gratitude to my eyes (which is only the third time I've cried about the big D since Tiki's dx). You all have no idea how much I depend on you for information, advice, and a place where I don't feel alone and isolated. OK, enough with the mushy stuff...give me some answers!

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You should be able to get samples of different sets. Personally, I LOVE the mio/insets (for tslim you need luer lock so you want animas insets). I have used them successfully when I was very thin and now I am what I guess would be considered moderately thin and they still work great. If you look on youtube you can find videos of kids inserting all the different sets. Some people suggest the angled sets for skinny kids but I have never found the need for them and I think the longer needle can be pretty intimidating for a first time pumper. Also, the insets are super easy for a kid to insert themselves so she would probably be able to change it herself if it comes out when you are not with her.

3. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

I second the Insets/Mios. My boys refuse to use anything else--they are 13 and thin/muscular. No spare fat on them anywhere.
    You may also want to try Cleos--it's another straight-in set. My change-hating kid wasn't a fan, but I thought they were even easier to insert than insets.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I agree that you should get some samples - maybe you will see them at the class you will be taking soon.

The CDE at our pumping class said my daughter should use angled sets based upon her body composition, but we have not found that to necessarily be true. It doesn't take a whole lot of fat to have room for a 6mm straight set.

The narrowing factor for us was manual vs automatic insertion. My daughter is the opposite of a "rip the bandaid off" type of person. When on MDI, she would inject herself excruciatingly slowly (to me), but that's just the way she is - she wants control over how fast the needle goes in. Therefore, any set with an automatic inserter was taken off our list. Maybe someday, she'll see the appeal of them, but for now, she doesn't.

So, we've only tried manual inserted sets which include one angled set (comfort short) and one straight in set (Cleo). Right now, she and her skin prefer the Cleos. They leave virtually no mark when removed, where the comfort shorts left a sizeable red dot on her skin that took a long time to go away. The Cleo has an inserter device, but it's not automatic. You can control how quickly the needle inserts - it's kind of like a fancy, different shaped syringe.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We've only ever used steel needles sets ( for 8.5 years) and have had no problems with them at all. I think they're great when you start pumping because you can rule out a kinked cannula as a cause of high bg's. My 12 year old now does her own and finds them super simple to use.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Let's see, he's used Insets, Inset 30s, Comfort, and Contact Detach. Out of all of them Contact Detach (straight in steel set) is his favorite and what he currently uses.

My advice is to get a sampling of all the options and then choose, vs getting 3 months worth of one type you may not prefer.

And yeah, seriously, my sanity (well, what there is anyway) has been many times saved by knowing you guys are all out there and are there for me, even if it's to wap me against the side of the head and get over myself. Support, however it's found, is invaluable.

7. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Expanding on this (and please someone pipe in with what I am missing) your options are:

Automatic insertion
    Manual insertion

Angled
    Straight in

Steel set
    Teflon

For each option there is set. So you have auto insertion for angled, straight in, teflon, etc. Consider your child and the tolerance to shots, anxiety, etc. My son prefers to be in control so auto insertion actually doesn't work for his personality type. Because he is more muscular and not a lot of fat, steel sets ended up being his best option. We tried angled and we tried straight in, during football season he prefered angled but overall he prefers straight in, less problems as a rule.

I also advocate having a variety on hand, for different situations, if you can finangle that!

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

9. rgcainmd

10. rgcainmd

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your knowledge and advice. It is very much appreciated! One can only learn so much by going from site to site and reading all about infusion sets; your input regarding your own personal experiences is invaluable to me!

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I really like the Cleo's, To me they are less complicated to understand or mess up if you have a few prepping tips. The footprint of the inserter is very small so you can place it exactly where you want it. The tubing is separate/ not attached and not in the way. The needle is hidden/not easily seen. and it has a skin barrier than is already attached, and they stick very well but come off easily too. Almost forgot, there is no top or bottom to the site, which is important for an arm/leg/booty site, keeping the tubing going in the right direction.

We don't use them right now because they do not work with untethered pumping as well because when you are unhooked it is sort of a post that sticks out.

12. rgcainmd

While we'll probably give a few of the many infusion sets a try, I was actually leaning towards the Cleos. The You Tube video I watched made insertion look like a pain-free breeze.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Since you have decided on the tSlim, you might want to join the tSlim FB group. There are several discussions on the sets and tubing lengths and why people like different ones. We had no luck with Cleos, and that set for sure seems to be the one that you either LOVE, or HATE, there is no in between! My daughter found them hard to disconnect, and I tried one myself and found the same thing. A new tSlim pumper didn't realize he could have gotten luer lock Quick Sets that he was used to, and had so many issues with the Cleo's that he started leaving his pump on to shower, for fear of kinking the cannula by trying to disconnect and connect. He was very happy to learn that he could order his Quick Sets. Take a look at the You Tube video of the Contact Detach and I'm sure there are others too.

14. rgcainmd

Mary, thank you for your reply! There's a FB group for everything, isn't there? I'll have to head on over and take a look.

15. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I am a huge advocate for steel sets, and I think they are often overlooked. I know I did. I think they are probably the best sets for beginers but I tried everything on the market for the first 8+ years before trying them. I'd been mostly happy with each set I'd tried, but after trying steel, I'll never go back. None of the fears I had about them were true, they are at least as comfortable as any other set I've had, go in easier, never kink, and have no risk of causing a teflon reaction. There is pretty much no way to screw up insertion, and you never have to worry about the set when trying to troubleshoot.

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I do like steel sets, but hate taking them out!

17. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Why? Do you hate it or does your daughter?
    I generally try to pull out straighter than I did with teflon, but even if I don't, they hurt so much less in general that it makes up for it. The only time I hate them coming out is if it's ripped out accidently. Especially in bed, since I tend to roll over on it multiple times before I wake up enough to understand why my bed is biting me. But I don't want to scare anyone, in perspective of how much pain they cause in the course of, say a year, the steel wins hands down.