- advertisement -

Speaking about diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

How often do you ask about the bgs?

How do you keep the conversation going about the diabetes self-care while being supportive and not judgmental?

What do you ask so you don't get a one word response?:)

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

For us, discussions about diabetes care in general are part of our relationship with Marissa. We discuss her overall diabetes care, which includes blood sugars, amount of supplies on hand at school, foods, etc.

I guess this is normal for those of us who have children who were diagnosed very young -- in our case, at 24 months.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Actually this is normal conversation for us too with a recent diagnosis. Maybe it has to do too with the type of personalities within the family. My son is a talker.

I do try to add a compliment whenever I am also offering up a suggestion.

Sometimes it hits me when my son's girlfriend listens in - is all this too much for a girlfriend to handle long-term? What are her thought processes? It could sound pretty scarey listening to our conversations when you're not used to them - complicated and serious to an outsider though we are a sarcastic, full of humor and light hearted family.... most days anyway. :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  4. susanH

susanH Approved members

i talk to my son about once a week on the phone, emails in between if necessary. i have always asked "how are your numbers". i will get the one word answer if things are good. i hear "good". if he's having trouble, he hasn't been hesitant to discuss it with me and we've talked about basal increases or dietary changes he might try to see a better result. when he is struggling, i have never once had to say "well, if only you'd do this...." when his control is off, i continue to praise his efforts and remind him that i know how diligent he has been, how much effort it takes, how his patience and good judgment have always paid off in the long run.

his control is very good 95% of the time and i will commend him for that. i did tell him that i am very proud of the way he has taken control and is now taking good care of that little guy i managed for so many years. i'm so proud of the way he's caring for him.

i am still asking and he is still graciously answering, usually in one word. don't know if i'll ever quit until he gives me the real indication that it's getting intrusive and boring and i don't have to keep asking.

5. Tarheel84

Tarheel84 Approved members

This is something that I am trying to learn how to do without being too intrusive and/or nagging. My son is not one to talk about his feelings so usually I only get one word responses or "yes, mother I know". This is all so new to us. He has only been on Lantus less than a month and I guess I am trying to get him to fast forward too much and learn what he will need to know down the road instead of just slowing down and waiting for the next step.

When he was home over Labor Day I did peak at the results stored in his glucometer...was that wrong?? Guess I should have asked 1st but it was on the counter, he wasn't around and I couldn't stop myself. :(

6. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I think I would have done the same thing if I were you. :cwds: A parent wants to know because you care!!!

7. Margaret O

Margaret O Approved members

I know I would have peeked. It is just because we care, I guess some day they will understand.

I haven't heard from our son for a week. We did say that we would let him make the first call home. (What was I thinking?) I did peak onto his IM away message last night and it sounds like he is busy... and he did mention that he had to go to class :) before his ultimate frisbee scrimage. This is all good in my book.

I have found it harder for him to keep us informed. My sister works to coordinate school nursing care for diabetic children. She said that the kids that are diagnosed as teens are the hardest to get into a routine. Since Pat was 13 when he was diagnosed I can agree.

I am anxiously awaiting our first real phone conversation and am going to try very hard not to jump too quickly to his D care.

Margaret O

8. PattyR

PattyR Approved members

I keep myself informed via those IM away messages, too!! Both D and
    non-D child!