advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sore Fingers

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, Apr 19, 2008.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I alternate which fingers to poke, but even alternating them I still get very sore fingers..I poke mainly the sides and the tips. I sometimes poke the middle of the pad, I do this if I need a lot of blood.

Is there anything I can put on my fingers to alleviate the soreness?

I have tried my arms as sites and the difference between the arm and the finger is about 40 points so I like to stick with poking my fingers for a more accurate reading.

My fingers look like pincushions:rolleyes: And the skin is getting tough and calloused, which makes getting blood to come up harder.

2. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

I really like lotion with green tea extract. It works really well...plus is smells good. :)

3. KeltonsMom

Thank you, I will go see if I can find some tomorrow..

My Endo told me I could use my earlobe, but I have to tell ya it sure is a PITA to have to look in a mirror to make sure I am poking my earlobe and then have fun trying to get the blood on the strip :rolleyes:

I will stick to my fingers...

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have you tried the Pelikan Sun lancing device? I have not but it is supposed to be less trauma to the fingers, therefore less painful. Just a thought....

5. KeltonsMom

I use two lancing devises, the Multiclix and the Softclix, one week I will use one and the next week I will use the other one..This week is Softclix week, last week was Multiclix week

6. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I use sides only, ever since diagnosis. The nurse was very vocal about "never" using tips or the front of the finger because it would permanently damage the nerve endings...:rolleyes:, but it stuck with me and so that's what I do. And to tell the truth, I cannot feel anything with the parts of my fingers that are callused, but when is it necessary to feel anything with the side of your finger? :p

Every few days, I use vaseline or something called Skin Crack Care (I think it's Johnson and Johnson brand, not sure) and spa gloves overnight to help soften my calluses. It helps, but I don't really like using any type of lotion or cream on my hands because it can interfere with BG readings, depending on the ingredients. I have to make sure that all of the residue gets off before I can test.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Hi,
    One thing I do is stick to the sides of the fingers near the tip. I use one finger for the entire day. Then the next day I move to the next finger. That way each finger waits at least 10 days before I use it again. Also I use Bag Balm. Have been poking for 3 years and still do not have callouses. Bag Balm was originally designed to keep those cow udders soft and supple but you can find it in any pharmacy. It comes in those green metal tins. Since we have to "milk" our fingers it keeps my fingers "udderly" soft and supple.

8. KeltonsMom

I have found that my fingers are super sensitive on the sides, when I poke the sides people in the next state over can hear me yelp..I have yet to poke the fingers on my left hand..So, I use two fingers my middle finger and my ring finger on my left hand..

I will get some of this Bag Balm, so I too can have udderly soft and supple fingers instead of tough spots where I poke the heck out of them:p

9. BeckyND

BeckyND Approved members

We have the FreeStyle meter and I use the attachment for alternative sites to poke my daughters palms sometimes (the more fleshy part). She has never complained that it hurts any more then the finger and it seems just as accurate.

10. T1Spouse&Proud

T1Spouse&Proud Approved members

Is you meter able to do alternate site testing? When I check my sugars, I use my for arm about two inches below my elbow on the fatty top part, it has always been acurate for me.

11. KeltonsMom

I just tried my palm on the fleshy part and it did not hurt at all..This is good, now I can spare my fingers and allow them to heal..Next I will try poking the fingers on my other hand :eek: If you hear a scream you will know that was me :rolleyes:

12. rachabetic

rachabetic Approved members

I tried to use just one finger today because my fingers are a complete mess! I just now checked my sugar and when I pricked my finger and squezed a bit to get the blood, blood started comming out of 4 other spots!:eek::D I think it is a good idea, but it may not work for me because all of the poke spots were so new. I am not going to give up because I need finger help!lol:D

13. KeltonsMom

I poked my pinky just a few minutes ago..man that hurt..I made the mistake of squeezing it too hard, so much blood came out :eek:

I have to admit something, I have and am slowly getting over a blood phobia..First time I poked my finger I fainted :rolleyes: Now I just cringe.

14. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

You also have to be careful of blood shooting across the room:D
    I have messed up a couple of shirts over the years that have these little brown spots all over them ,LOL

15. KeltonsMom

I have only one thing to say about this...IF this ever happens to me I can guarantee that I will do one of two things..I will either faint or scream in horror..LOL..

16. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

Teddi , I see you got to change you id.

Seems like I have been at this so long, that not much phases me.