- advertisement -

soooo much insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by momof2type1, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I agree with you about the negative effects of a large amount of insulin. I cringe every single time I read "they need what they need." Seems to be a common refrain but there is no reason a kid with type 1 can't develop insulin resistance and there is a greater prevalence of being overweight among kids with type 1. There is a reason that the "normal" amount of insulin is considered to be .5-1 unit/kg and an endo who does not address a child using a significantly greater amount of insulin is not doing his/her job, in my opinion. Especially when there are so many effective meds available to treat insulin resistance. The chart in this article is dramatic and really underscores the importance of addressing the potential for weight gain in type 1.

I use symlin as well and I love it :) I have never had weight issues but I do think as I get older it will help minimize weight gain. I use a rather low dose of insulin (around .4 units/kg) and I do think that makes my blood sugars smoother. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about using symlin.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

"They need what they need" and "YDMV" are often blinders to real issues IMO. Thanks for saying that.

3. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Thank you! I will do that if I have questions as we get going. We are at the tedious phase of logging every BG and sending the numbers to the endo so they can progress her. I get that it's an essential step because they have to determine a safe dosage and write prescriptions accordingly. However, I am used to making my own changes! It is frustrating to wait for the endo! How long have you used it for?

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have used it for over 2 years now. I don't use it for every meal but I do use it for most higher carb meals.