- advertisement -

Soon to be pumping- what should I buy?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aidensmom, Jul 18, 2010.

1. aidensmom

aidensmom Approved members

An Animas Ping is on its way to us!! It will probably be a few weeks before we actually go live with insulin due to scheduling the training. I've already ordered a Spibelt, but just trying to figure out what else would be helpful. DS is 4 1/2 and we've been on MDI since diagnosis. I'm really excited that DS is finally wanting to pump, but I'm also scared to death of all I have to learn! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!:cwds:

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

Logan is younger, so I don't know if there are any accessories that kids that age like, such as skins. I do know that for us, the only additional things we have needed other than pump packs is tegaderm. Also, our ping came with an extra battery cap, but you may want to have an extra cap that goes over the cartridge. We don't have one, but I think I'm going to get one. Good luck and I hope you like pumping!:D

3. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I would recommend buying a comfortable pump pouch that he can sleep in.

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

The spi belt is nice, but the pump is hard. Get a soft squishy, neoprene camera case or mp3 player sleeve to put it in and then put it in the spi belt. Gives it extra cushion.

Also, get an RX for EMLA cream (the numbing cream). Our insurance doesn't cover IV300, and some people love it or hate it. We love it. Get a few samples and see how it holds up in the tub.

For swimming, grab some waterproof bandaides to cover the sets so they don't fall off in the pool. CVS makes great ones that are just the right size. We use the knee/elbow size and it covers her set, but the bandage part is bigger than the set, so you can take the waterproof bandaide off without pulling out the set.

We keep a tackle/first aide box in the bathroom and do set changes after bath time.

First I soak up the set in baby oil, then let her splash abit, and then we take the set off. Wash the kiddo down with some antibacterial soap, then dry em off and put the new set on.

Good luck!