- advertisement -

Son woke up screaming with foot cramp Please help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coni1523, Dec 4, 2011.

1. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

My son woke up with his foot turning inward and screaming. Is this common in diabetics. I know when I had leg or calf cramps like growing pains as a child but my foot never turned in like that. He moves it and it starts all over again. Now he is also getting them behind his knee. Has anyone else had this happen to them and what do you do about it.
    Thank you so much.
    Connie

2. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

foot/leg cramps...

Sorry to hear that you son is getting these cramps. I got them when pregnant (non di) and ate bananas to relieve them as, many times, they are caused by a deficiency in potassium.

Give that a whirl and see if he sees fewer of them...

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Bananas are good to prevent them, but if you have one, the way to fix it is to stand up and put your weight on it. I don't know if you ever read Dr. Gott's newspaper column but his readers swore that putting a bar of soap under the bottom sheet somehow prevented leg cramps. I was getting a lot of them and so I put the soap under my sheet :rolleyes:and believe it or not, it worked! Perhaps just the placebo effect but who knows? Folk medicine does have some basis in fact I guess. In any case, I felt it was an easy thing to try and I had plenty of soap! Cramps are so painful, I hope they stop. Also, be sure he gets plenty of fluids. The fact that his foot is turning in just means that the muscle that controls his foot is the one that is cramping I think.

4. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

It's just muscle cramps, I'm sure not diabetes, just muscles! The bananas are a good suggestion. It does hurt, but eventually they pass.

5. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Does he get these cramps often? I was diagnosed at 18 months of age. I had muscle cramps and spasms in my feet and legs for years (still do occasionally but a lot when I was younger). It finally got so bad that I went to the doctor about it after moving to Australia - I know that some suggest drinking more water, and the temperature was a lot hotter here. Anyways, the doctor told me to take Cramp Eze. About a month later I found out I was pregnant. When I asked the endocrinologist about taking Cramp Eze while pregnant she suggested I take Vitamin D and had my Vitamin D levels checked which came back quite low. While pregnant I took 3000 IU of vitamin D daily and throughout the rest of my pregnancy I only had really bad cramps in my legs 2 or 3 times. Since then I've been taking 2000 IU daily and I hardly ever have cramps anymore.

6. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I remember getting awful leg cramps as a child in the middle of the night. Yes, I'd wake up screaming too. The leg needs to be stretched a certain way depending in where the cramps are. I used to wake up my sister to help me as they were so painful I couldn't move my leg on my own. They were literal growing pains!

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I also remember waking as a child screaming from leg cramps....growing pains...when I was pregnant I had tons of leg cramps in the middle of the night...I would stand on a cold surface and it would go away.

Has your son had his vitamin D levels checked? Low vitamin D levels could be the culprit.

8. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

Thank you all so much for the advice. I just have not seen that before. It has happen a few times. It was like when you get a pain in your foot and one of your toes would move up or away from the rest. but his whole foot was curved. His knee was trying to make him bend his leg, but he held it straight. while I held his foot straight. It was both legs at the same time. I never did that growinig up, just regular leg pain. His legs were like a puppet on a string. I just want to thank you all.
    Connie

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If it's potassium deficiency, that can be caused by diabetes- it's a frequent problem in ketoacidosis. I had to take potassium supplements, which are very bitter, in addition to IV potassium. At the time I was in pain all over and it was my stomach that hurt horribly.
    My feet cramp occasionally. I've never mentioned it to a doctor and don't know if they have anything to do with my diabetes.

10. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

My son started waking with leg cramps at about age 5 and still gets them, though less frequently now. Both Pedi and Endo say they are growing pains - I too was concerned it may have been diabetes related. This only seems to happen in the middle of the night and for a while would happen about once a month or so. It's interesting to hear what the OP say about Potassium.....that could definitely help.

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member