- advertisement -

Son with ketones- always wants to go to hospital

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kjsmith1, Aug 24, 2011.

1. kjsmith1

kjsmith1 New Member

Hi, Strange one for you. My son is 12 and has had diabetes for 5 years now. When he gets sick he will not drink or eat and we are in that situation now. He has been throwing up. I am trying to keep him drinking, he moans and groans and begs me to take him to the hospital. When this happens I have been onl the phone with the doctor trying to bring the ketones down and give him extra insulin. We need to be able to handle this at home as much as possible but he becomes almost beligerent and yelling at me. He complains about pain in arms and legs and stomach which I understand comes with ketones. The doctor feels that this is the way he handles pain. Anyone have any suggestions or run into the same issues. Thanks, Karen in Baltimore.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

He needs some carbs to raise the blood sugar so he can have insulin. The endo ought to prescribe an anti-nausea medication. He needs to stop throwing up.

He needs liquid and sometimes the only remedy is an IV.

3. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I had a nurse with type 1 say that when she has ketones, she feels like she has been hit by a truck, it's painful to her. I'd keep that in mind, and become best friends with the wonder drug called zofran to stop the puke/won't eat/ketone cycle.

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Happened to me once when daughter was his age. Ended up taking her to the hospital and was told I could have given her Gravol to stop the vomiting so she could take in carbs. I say take him in and have no regrets. He will get braver as he gets older. He is obviously stubborn (as mine is) and unfortunately we can't force a kid to eat or drink.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

He knows that whatever the hospital does makes him feel better.. have you given him pain meds?

Ketones won't go away without insulin, unfortunately you'll have to get him to eat/drink carbs to give extra insulin.

6. kjsmith1

kjsmith1 New Member

Son with diabetes

Thanks for all your replies, ketones are going down . Need to check into nausea medicine. He came off the pump in July because of puberty and his numbers being poor. It gets so hard on the whole family seeing him so upset and we all become frustrated. I am debating taking him to talk to a therapist about his feelings about diabetes. We are about to start a new school year in middle school and that brings challenges. Thanks to all of you.

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Do you have a blood ketone meter? If this happens more than a few times it is well worth it. My son has had large ketones probably 60 or 70 times and they usually clear quickly. Never needed to take him to the hospital. The blood meter really helps a lot.

Can you put him back on the pump? Personally, I wouldn't take a kid off the pump for poor numbers, unless he's physically in danger of DKA. And it sounds like it's not working.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Severe ketones can be really, really painful (I wouldn't underestimate how much it can hurt, seriously).

Does he get sick often? Are the ketones definitely because he's sick, or could he in fact be sick from the ketones? If the former, I think you definitely should try an anti-nausea med, and if the latter then you need to figure out why this is happening on a regular basis.

9. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

What Emma said. The last time I had them (from 2 bad pump sites and 500+ BG) I felt like the living dead; my eyes hurt, and my whole body felt creaky and painful.
    ETA: AlisonKS friend's analogy to getting run over by a truck is an excellent one.

Zofran is a wonderful thing; I get the generic and I think it only costs us a little over $1 to get it filled.

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Is your son very slim?

My non-D son is 18. In the last 3 years, he has had severe dehydration due to sinus infections several times. He screamed in pain. Even having a bed sheet touch his body hurt. He also begged to go to the hospital everytime. Once we were at the hospital and he got IV fluids, he would calm down.

NEVER underestimate pain.

Get something for nausea and try to keep him out of the ketone cycle.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

The anti-nausia meds that we use is Zofran, a disolveable tab under the tongue.

If it it a stomcah bug or a ketone stomach ache I will give at least 1 dose to try to get the "ketone" situation under control.

It works very fast, within 15 minutes thenausia is gone and I can atleast get liquid carbs into her and over bolus to try to rid ketones, we are on CGM and can See a drop if too much.

If it is sickness with low BG and Ketones then you can consider a minidose of glucagon to raise bg and be able to give insulin.