- advertisement -

Son Newly Diagnosed with T1D

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Serena, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Serena

Serena New Member

Hello everyone! My name is Serena and my son was just diagnosed with T1D. So here we are 10 days after our diagnosis, still living, still breathing. I still laugh a bit at the thought of his symptoms making me think..."My son doesn't have Diabetes." Proved me wrong. I thank God that I work in the medical field and was able to see the signs early on. To be honest it all felt like a bad dream in the beginning but it is slowly starting to sink in and make sense. Meals are becoming easier to navigate as well as snacks. I still cry randomly. Grocery shopping will bring me to tears, the thought of Halloween, Birthday parties, the site of his bruised and poked fingers.....I assume it gets easier with time.This disease can suck one.

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Welcome to the club that no parent wants to join.
    Your son can still have cake and ice cream at birthdays and candy at Halloween; just pre-bolus for the carb count and correct if he goes high.
    Type 1 doesn’t need to change how your child eats.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome to the club none of us wanted to join. It does get easier - less hard - but the pain remains lurking in the background. I wish I'd gotten counseling after diagnosis. I'm realizing now how much stress my body has carried in the years since diagnosis when I thought I was just sleep deprived.