- advertisement -

Son just diagnosed - suggestions welcome

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Jason's mom, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Jason's mom

Jason's mom Approved members

Well, we added a Celiac diagnosis to our lives last week. At the moment, I'm fairly overwhelmed. I know it will get easier with time, but it feels like a lot right now. We're going completely gluten-free at home. It just seems easier, and Jason doesn't need something else to make him feel different. I think one more weekend will let me get pretty much everything done at the house.

Here are my first few questions...
    -We're trying to find some good options for his mid-morning and mid-afternoon 15 g carb snacks.
    -Any suggestions for the best celiac sites/forums would be appreciated!
    -What do you wish you'd known in the beginning?
    -Jason's been asymptomatic, and I'm not sure if he'll be able to tell me if he has a reaction later on. So, I'm just erring on the side of caution with everything. Anything I may be missing?

Thanks!

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Sorry you had to add this to your list! Glad you found the forum. What did he eat for his 15g snacks before?

I would say to not go buy a ton of gf foods at the store in the beginning; you may find they don't taste good/right & then it is a waste of money. Best to stick with naturally gluten free stuff in the beginning. Fruit, yogurt, etc. are good choices. We like the Udi's breads. The rolls by Schaar are good too. Not a big fan of their bread. I think for bread it is best if you don't eat bread for a while...then when you try the gf stuff, your taste buds have kind of forgotten real bread.

Corn tortillas are a good substitute for bread in the beginning.

Glutino makes pretzels that are good.

If he was asymptomatic, you may find that after being gf for a while, he will have symptoms if he gets gluten.

3. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I agree -- often, people who were asymptomatic (like my son and I were) have "typical" reactions if they accidentally consume gluten.

I can't say enough good things about having a bread maker. We use Pamela's GF Bread mix and think it's the best GF bread we've found. We also love their pancake mix.

For a good all-purpose flour, I like Jules - I've only be able to find it online HERE

4. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We too like the Jules flour. Her recipe for cinnamon rolls is awesome! We like the Pamelas baking and pancake mix. I use it the same as we used bisquik before diagnosis.

We made a lot of bread in the early days....now not so much. Esp during the summer months. I just can't do it with the heat. Honestly, Danielle does not eat that much bread anymore. During the school months, she does take a sandwich most days...other days she will do cheese & crackers or cheese & fruit, or maybe a Lara bar & fruit.