- advertisement -

Son dx'd Saturday

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ewd1, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ewd1

ewd1 New Member

Hi.
    My ten year old son was diagnosed with Type I diabetes three days ago. We spent the next two nights in the hospital; we were discharged last night at 8:30 p.m. I don't know what to say. How do people do this? I know we're at the start of a steep learning curve, and thank goodness I have a supportive husband, and my son is a good kid- responsible, bright, already giving himself injections- and his 7 year old brother has been very understanding, but... I can't get my brain around this. When does the shock wear off? I'm giving shots, checking carb labels on foods, calculating Novalog doses, recording glucose readings, and I still feel like I can't wake up. Poor kid. Poor us. Is it awful to think that?
    Thanks.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Welcome to the club no one wants to join but where everyone is in the same shoes. We all understand the shock of adjusting to living with Type 1 diabetes.

Yes, after a while, everything falls into place and works into your routine of life.

Allow yourself time to grieve -- life will now be different -- a new normal will emerge in a few months.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm smiling because I could have written something similar, especially the line about, " how do people do this?" :cwds: And yet here I sit, 7 years after dx having just sent my happy, healthy, sporty kid off to school where she's going on a field trip 60 miles away and I'm not worried;)

A dx of D does change everything ... for a while. Then, "normal" gradually finds a foothold and creeps back in. Yes, there are still days when I feel incredibly frustrated and saddened by all the imposition D brings into her life and mine, but most days we just do it and get on with living.

I wish had known about CWD from the start - nothing helps me quite so much as knowing that there are other parents all over the world struggling with the same issues I struggle with and I gain a great deal of strength and energy from the friendship I've found here.:cwds:

Hang in there. You can do this.;)

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi and welcome to our community.:cwds:
    I am very sorry for your child's dx. It saddens me everytime.

You will probably go through a gamut of emotions, like grieving. I think all of us did at some time. But you will be ok. It is not easy, but you will learn not only what you need to do management-wise, but you will also learn you have more strength in yourself than you ever thought possible.

Kids are amazing because they just adapt so quickly to this new life. Just one suggestion, if I may...don't expect too much too soon.:cwds:
    Hugs!

5. Lance

Lance Approved members

What you're feeling is perfectly normal. Everyone here know exactly what you are feeling, and is here to offer support and guidance. You will get through this initial phase, and sadness and frustration will occasionally creep in, but like many other things in life, it is what it is. Your son will make adjustments, and will go on to a happy, productive life. Hang in there.

6. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

I am so sorry to hear of your son's DX. But I'm also glad you found CWD so soon. There is tremendous knowledge and support shared here. Your feelings, as others have said, are completely normal. Expect things to be a bit rough for a while, but you will soon be amazed at how "normal" life can be for you, your son, your whole family.

Make sure to take a breath (you will get a chance to do that) and put D in its proper perspective. It does not need to control your lives, you will get where you control it and keep it as only one aspect of your lives.

But to get there you have to learn. So ask questions here, ask questions of your endo and CDE. Read books. You will soon master all the things you mentioned and more.

Hang in there.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Hello,
    I just wanted to say welcome, but sorry you have to be here. You have found a great site for support and information. The early days are very tough, you are overwhelmed emotionally, sleep deprived, and scared. But over time you will become more comfortable dealing with all the things you need to do to live with this illness. You will find a "new normal" believe it or not and things will get into more of a routine. All the parents here are proof of that.

Here are some books you may find useful:

The "bible" of childhood diabetes, "Understanding Diabetes" (aka The Pink Panther book) by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/books/ud11/ud11.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin [ILLUSTRATED] by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95.

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York, 2005. ISBN 1-56924-396-4. US$34.95.

Not sure what your school situation is, but here is a link to a thread that has a lot of info about dealing with schools.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=20042

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Hang in there :cwds:

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello and welcome to the family:) For your question "Is it awful to think that?" No its not awful at all. When our children are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes its very normal to be angry, disgusted, fearful, alone and almost resentful of others that still have "normal" "healthy" kids. Kinda feels like being sent down a lonely dark road without a destination in mind or a good map or GPS.

I promise that it will get easier with time. You will find from reading the forums and talking to other people with CWD that we fit diabetes into our busy, happy and very satisfying lives. Right now it will be all encompassing but please be gentle and patient with yourself. Take care of the basics, learn a bit more each day and come here whenever you like and post or join us in the parents chatroom if you like.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you have to be here, and yes, it's a huge shock. Even now every once in a while I stop and think "can this really be our life?"..so in some ways that doesn't go away but you CAN have a great life, a wonderful full life, full of all the things you did before. Learning all you can, IMO, is the key to feeling like you have some control. And there is a lot to learn, and you'll continue to learn over the years. It's ok to feel mad and angry and feel like your life is over and it's ok to think poor us. But I can PROMISE you ..life will go on and it will all be ok. :)

10. dvane

dvane Approved members

Welcome to our family. Here you will find that everyone has or is going through the same thing. The shock does wear off and diabetes becomes the new normal.

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I remember that feeling so well -- I felt like my whole body (and brain) was sort of buzzing for the first week -- I couldn't think of anything else and sometimes just looking at the big stack of papers we were sent home with made me cry. It took me an extra half hour to pack Aaron's lunch! Aaron went off to school and I sat at home worrying and waiting for him to get home.

Maybe a glimpse of our daily life now will give you hope. Aaron sets his alarm for 8 am and is out the door by 8:30, with everything he needs for the day. Last night he performed in a play, then called to say he was staying overnight at a friend's and would go to school straight from there. The conversation was really quick: "Do you have enough insulin to last that long?" "Yep." "OK, have fun." I still feel bad that a kid that age has to think all the time about carbs and supplies and his blood sugar, but even with that extra burden he has a happy, busy, normal life -- and so do we.

It's an overwhelming amount to learn -- but you don't have to learn it all at once. And you'll be amazed at how far you have all come by this time next year!

12. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Welcome to the family...I'm sorry you had to be here. 3 days is a very short time and you SHOULD be in shock. Allow yourself time to be sad and mad, but try not to do it too much in front of your child. I cried in the car A LOT. You will quickly find a new normal, and you will (already are, I suspect) be amazed by your son. You will have to learn a lot, and unfortunately there are days that no matter what you do....things just don't work out right! However, most days are good days, and we just deal with the others when they come. Come often..this is an amazing group of people!

13. Lance

Lance Approved members

This post jogged my memory. One of the things that really helped my dd to put Zane's dx in perspective was a short piece called "Welcome to Holland." Check it out here.

14. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

welcome...all emotions are normal at this time. you are allowed to feel anything, including poor us. i am still new at this myself, been hanging out here for about 106 days. I have 2 kids dx'd in the last 106 days.

There is alot of understanding, advice, help, venting going on here. Everybody has felt the same as you. I still feel that way.

Take care.

15. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

one more thing

As everybody else has said, some amount of normalcy will resume. My 6 yr old daughter was diagnosed on 091709. Now, we when go to the grocery store she is reading serving sizes and carboyhydrates on labels.

Just a new thing. They learn and become responsible quickly. It is a shame, but in some ways I feel my kids have a maturity level that somehow will better them in many ways down the road. (i hope:)

16. Little Diabetic Dude

Little Diabetic Dude Approved members

Like everyone has said your feelings are very normal and I think I still remain in a bit of shock 6 mths after our dx. It is very hard at the start but it gets easier ass time goes on.
    The main thing I always have kept in the back of my mind is Ds3 will never miss out on what my other 3 children do. Birthday parties, pre-school, sports, family get togethers that involve food. Everything we do as a family we will make sure he feels like he is normal. ( Oh that's the one with diabetes) My son will never know his life before diabetes it will be the norm for him but for your little boy he will know what it was like before so making him feel like this is his norm will be difficult. Good luck there will be many good times but many trying times ahead. Accept the challenge as he was sent to you for a reason.

17. motherof2

motherof2 Approved members

Hi. We are now 6 weeks into managing our 10 year old sons diabetes and I know how you feel but it will get better. I know that it does not feel like it at the moment. sdo after 6 weeks our son is currently at his friends across town hanging out after playing a tough game of cricket this morning. He rung just before and said Mum I am low I am just having a juice and then I will have a sandwich so ou will get the hang of it before long.I sometimes think that the chn actually adapt more quickly than we do.I still feel gutted and have good and bad days but we are getting into a routine. Be gentle on your self and take all the time you need. The people here are really caring and supportive.

18. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

We were very sorry to learn about your son. The last thing we want is another T1 family joining our extended CWD family, but, welcome. You came to the right place, and so quickly after dx, you're definitely on the right track.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. Rants and vents are welcome as well. The CWD family is world wide, so there is always immediate help 24/7. The learning curve is high, but it really will get bet... well, maybe not better, but certainly easier and less stressful. The first few months are always the most difficult. It's obvious that you are a very caring and loving parent. The rest will work itself out, and it will be second nature in no time.

Warmest Regards.

19. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh Im just seeing this today! I love this! I want to try and put this on FB. Thank you Lance:) Holland is just beautiful Ive heard:cwds:

20. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

Hi - I am so sorry for your son's diagnosis. It always breaks my heart a little to hear of another family going through this. I am glad however to welcome you to our CWD family :cwds:. I am sure you will find the support and knowledge here that I was looking for when I found CWD.

It sounds as if your son is doing very well. My son was 10 at dx as well. These kids who deal with Type 1 - 24/7 are truly amazing!

All the emotions you are feeling are completely normal. This (dx) is a life changing event for the whole family so be easy on yourself. It will get better, somewhat easier...a new "normal" that you have already heard about on here.

Hope to talk to you on here again soon...take care,
    ~Michelle