- advertisement -

Something is way off

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by goochgirl, Feb 23, 2009.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

This crazy disease! Last night I was watching Academy Awards. Around 11 DH comes in and asked how Yossi's numbers were doing. I said I would check him again in another hour for his 12 AM. I decided to go ahead and check. 42 with .30 IOB... 3 juice boxes later he was fast asleep and fine. Fast forward to today after his nap. 95 with no bolusing, lots of snacking and he's still not going up... until he jumps to the 377. So, I correct him. He's running around like a wild child with his sister. I gather him up for bed after the other kids are settled, thinking everything is fine. Hand him a bottle of milk and lay him down to check his sugars. 44 this time with .70 IOB. We put the milk down and have a jelly bean party. What kind of rediculous people are we that we force 30 jelly beans down our kids throat before he can have a bottle of milk???? He likes the coffee flavored best; his father's son. I'm starting to hate juice boxes and jelly beans (except the kiwi flavored)

Thanks for listening to my rant.

2. samheis

samheis Approved members

Completely crazy! Sam is sick of juice and gummy lifesavers-time to find some new treatments. Glad you caught those lows!

3. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Girlfriend I hear ya about the jelly beans before the milk!!! All I can say is I know exactly what you are saying and I am really glad you caught his low before midnight. Funny you mentioned the Oscars... dd was just watching on DVR the song portion with Beyonce and Hugh dancing - she kept watching that part over and over, and just dipped down to 90 with .50 IOB... she's hanging out now just snacking on a quarter cup of oj and a half of a graham cracker.

4. buggle

buggle Approved members

It does seem totally insane all the candy we force down our children. Who else wakes up their children in the middle of the night to make them eat candy that they don't want? We never had candy in our house before D. Brendan is so sick of all sorts of candy. We keep trying new kinds, hoping he'll like it for a while. What a life. It's weird enough with an older kid, but it must seem absolutely surreal with a toddler.

5. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

I say God bless you guys with little ones with D. I don't know how you do it.

I always shake my head as I wake my daughter up for cookies and milk at 2:00 or 3:00 am. I also worry about her teeth. She is barely awake enough to eat, there is no way she'll get into the bathroom to brush!

Good luck with the mystery numbers.

Shirley

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have you considered using something else besides candy to treat a low? Glucose tabs? Yogurt? Graham crackers and milk?

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

had you already bolused for milk?
    I use coffee creamer to treat lows, Sam loves the stuff. If he is pretty low at night, I'll add some to milk to up the carbs. I'm talking about the sickenly sweet flavored ones

I also add it to the baby's milk since I'm trying to get her to take a sippy cup, seems to work;)

8. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I wish I had helpful suggestions. I'm twisting in the wind myself here. I hope you find a happy spot soon.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

Why would you give your child candy in the night? There are healthier yoghurt drinks that quickly bring up BG, and keep it up for awhile..

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

Sounds like bolus/basal ratio may be off - you might try giving more basal and lower the bolus ratios..

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

You've gotten good advice already. Just wanted to echo about trying something else in lieu of candy to bring up a low. We use juice or dextrose (glucose) tabs. I prefer the juice because it can be drunk with a straw at night, so it doesn't stick so much to the teeth. Once the low is brought up, I give some chocolate milk with a straw or a toasted piece of bread (we buy the already toasted bread so we don't have to toast it in a rush).
    During the day we carry dextrose tabs around. Much handier. If we are around stores or in a restaurant, then we just get a juice.
    HTH

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hey you're having our life. Ian's having weird lows at weird times at night all this week. I wish I hand answers (I have to look at our basals) but just know I"m venting right along side of you.

13. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Jelly bean party. :D
    Lows and high, it can be all so crazy at times. I know exzactly how you feel. I hate it when i find london low when least expected and even a bit scary sometimes but i have to admit it is fun getting him back up.

14. Zac's Mom

Zac's Mom Approved members

I bet it is really confusing to our kids- Yes you can have candy & sweets when your low but NO! you can't have it if your bg is High?
    That would screw my brain up too!!:D

We usually treat using glucose tablets, I like them because I can choose 1 tablet (4 carbs) for a mild low or 4 tablets (16 carbs) if he is really low.
    Kinda like mix & match:D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  15. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

That's why I like jelly beans... 1 bean equals 1 carb. Have I ever mentioned that I'm not so great at math? This works for me.

Wilf wanted to know why I was giving him candy at night... because when I see numbers in the 40's my brain turns off and I run for what's easy and not the chocolate milk that we have to keep hidden, in spite of the fact that we have the choc milk for this exact situation. besides, he wasn't asleep, yet, and its nice to be able to give him a treat for a change.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We give candy during the night because it's the only thing we can get him to accept when he's been sleeping. He will NOT drink anything, but we can slip small candies into his mouth (small enough that he will not choke), and he will chew in his sleep. Ya do what ya gotta do.

Jack has had weird lows all day. A 40 out of nowhere 2 hours after breakfast and there have been some others that I've headed off because I was on alert. I hate when this happens.