- advertisement -

Somedays I wonder...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tigerlilly's mom, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Some days I wonder, "Do I not worry enough"? Am I wrong to just accept diabetes, and say "it is what it is". ? Of course I take care of Tyler's diabetes needs, and make sure that he takes care of them when he is away from home. But is that enough, to just do the bg tests, count carbs, do pump changes, make adjustments, bring him to appointments, ensure enough supplies are readily available to Tyler wherever he may be, that people are at least somewhat educated to help him if he needs it?? He has a 504, his teachers, coaches, friends, parents of friends all know he has diabetes and what he needs if he has a low he can't handle on his own. BUT is this enough?

Is it bad that I have accepted that I don't believe there will be a cure for him before he leaves for college, gets married, has children? Is it terrible that I accept that it is very probable that he is going to live with this for the rest of his life and that there is nothing I can do about that except help him accept it too, so that he takes care of his one and only body and can always do whatever it is that he sets out to do?

Is acceptance a bad or good thing?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

It's a good thing. It allows you to get on with life and move on.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

GOOD thing. I have accepted it too, Going back to school to become a CDE someday. To be able to learn more about D and help grow my child to know as much as me.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can't imagine, short of finding a cure on your own, that you could be doing any more valuable work. :cwds:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Perfectly said!

6. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

I believe acceptance is a wonderful thing. What other choice do we have but to deal with the hand we have been given and to manage it the best we can.

Of course I hope for a cure but I concentrate on using what is availbable now to give the best care for my son!

Dwelling on all the rest takes away a lot of valuable energy!!

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I totally agree with you. I don't know if it's because we've been dealing with D for 5.5 years now, but I've been feeling much the same feelings as Tigerlilly, especially after the JDRF announcement that recently came out, and while I still hope for a cure, I too am concentrating much more on helping her manage D and keeping her body healthy.

Oh and if a cure magically appears some day soon, I'll be more than happy to take it:cwds:

8. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Teaching your son how to live a full life with D is the best gift you can give him, in my opinion.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Jen, you are not only knowing the serenity prayer but living it and I think that is a wonderful way to live:cwds: For Tyler too. He can have an amazing, full, healthy, interesting, exciting life and know that he can deal with his diabetes just like Mom did, its there, take care of it well, get on with it:cool: Fantastic!

10. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Acceptance is good and the work you are doing right now as a parent and the tools you are giving him for his future life with D is priceless.:cwds:

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Crying in the corner never got anyone any place fast. :) As far as I can see, if you don't learn to accept it, then you're constantly fighting against it. And you can't really move forward when you're in a constant fight.

12. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I'm so glad you asked this question. And I loved the responses. It sounds to me like you're in a perfect spot--you take care of it, without letting it take over.

We've tried our best to make D care a part of normal, regular, (almost) uninterrupted life; a "new normal," so to speak. Because that's how it's going to be for the near future, at least. If you can instill in him that this is how life is, and to be okay with it, as he grows older, the hope is that he will continue to care for himself responsibly. (I am holding my breath for teenage years!) It's an important lesson to learn that you get what you get in life, and it's how you react to it that determines your character. It's a big leg up our young ones get over those without a life-changing disease.

So, if it means anything to you, you have my permission to continue not worrying. :) You're doing a great job!

13. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Good. With d, as with all things in life, I feel we should do the best we can. But in spite of that, 5 percent of the time or so stuff will go weird on us. Its not our fault and so why sweat the explanation? Leave it to fate and move on. The main thing is we did our best. Why should we assume we have all the answers? I am at peace with the random chaotic occurance. I am as ready for it as I can be. Because it is coming when we least expect it!