- advertisement -

Some Carelink Comments and a Carelink Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by funnygrl, Jan 15, 2014.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I just uploaded my pump to Carelink for the first time since October.

First: Carelink doesn't seem to suspend the pump anymore for upload. I didn't hear my pump vibrate so I didn't think the upload was working, but alas it was. So this is good.

Secondly: Carelink does include all bg's beamed to the pump in the upload. I specifically tested this by doing a test, letting it time out, then uploading with a different meter. It was there.

Third: Why doesn't Carelink suppose current browsers? It supports Macs now, but not OS X 10.9, so I couldn't use my Mac. Then I went to my PC, but Internet Explorer 11 wasn't supported, just 8, 9 and 10. Finally Firefox came through. A little annoying.

Four: The pump must have a massive memory. I have been using CGMS regularly and haven't uploaded since October 26, but all of my October 27 and beyond data was there.

Now for my question. I'm looking at the Full Data Table report. On some of my boluses it shows a section called "unabsorbed insulin." What on earth is this? It's not Active Insulin, that's listed separately. I didn't cancel the bolus or anything. I didn't get any no delivery alarms. See my attachment. Very curious about this.

unabsorbed insulin.jpg

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

I've got some additional comments:
    1) sometimes it suspends, sometimes it doesn't. Seems to be no rhyme or reason. :)
    2) There's a setting where you can change how this is handled but since I don't beam to the pump I"m not totally familiar with how it works.
    3) Who knows. Even Chrome doesn't work.

Now for the question:
    Yes, is it is actually IOB, insulin on board. The way MM calculates a bolus, IOB is not subtracted from food boluses, and since during that particular bolus you didn't enter a BG, no correction was calculated. Had you done that any active insulin would have come into play and would have shown in the second line and have been subtracted. But they list it this way so that you can see that when you took that 3u bolus you still had 1.1 u on board. :)

3. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

Regarding browser, I have used carelink with IE11. Yes, it says it's not supported, but if you choose continue anyway, it works fine.

Regarding your question, I believe that is IOB - insulin that has been delivered but has not yet been used (based on duration set in pump settings plus medtronic's algorithm).

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Ok, that makes sense. So I still had 1.1 unit active but it wasn't listed as active insulin because its algorithm subtracts active insulin and I didn't want that to happen because I was still eating 3 units worth of food. Makes sense. Thanks!

5. packmule

packmule Approved members

You can spoof CareLink into supporting OS X 10.9 using Firefox and the add-on called User Agent Switcher which tells the CareLink site that your Mac is really OS X 10.8 running Firefox.

Here's a blog post outlining how to get it working. Hope this helps...