- advertisement -

Softball woes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Butterfly Betty, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

K, so we've been doing a 10% basal reduction for Softball, but I don't think it's enough. Sophie is still dropping down into the 50's about an hour after practice. Last night, however, she went from 198 to 82 halfway through practice. She drank half a bottle of gatorade and was back up to about 190 when practice ended. When we ate about 45 minutes later, she was back down to 79.

Do I need to do a bigger reduction? Can I do 15%, or do I need to go to 20%?

2. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Have you looked into the type 1 university.com online classes? There are live and prerecorded classes by Gary Scheiner. One is called "Blood glucose control during sports and exercise". It was a good class with several ideas that might help you handle this sort of thing better. The classes usually last an hour or a bit more.

3. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Does your daughter have a snack uncovered before practice? Sometimes having a slow carb snack can help ward off the low combined with the temp basal decrease.

4. Butterfly Betty

No, not normally. Tonight, she dropped down to 90 during the second inning. I had her drink some of her gatorade. By the end of the game, two and half innings later, she was 73. We did a 20%reduction so maybe she needs more carbs before hand. We'll try that before her practice.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

If she is dropping low during practice, she needs less insulin or an uncovered snack with protein. It is all trial by fire, so if you feel uncomfortable deciding what basal reduction to try next, ask your CDE - that is why you pay them ;).

6. Butterfly Betty

It's not that I am uncomfortable with doing the reductions, I just wasn't sure if I could do 15% opposed to 20%, but we went with 20% and she still went low. Thursday we'll add in a snack and see if that helps.

When I talked to our CDE they told me to start at 10% and work from there. This is just a new experience for us and we're taking this day by day.

7. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We are experimenting with temp basals ourselves. I have found that if it's a strenuous activity, I still need to add the uncovered snack with the decreased basal.

8. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Everyone is different, but I'm running Andrew at -30% for baseball. I have to admit that temp basals are working better with Apidra though. I also think of it as a sudden change in insulin sensitivity. If he hasn't eaten in a while, a temp basal works for Andrew. If a meal bolus is peaking during a game or practice, there is no way a temp basal can act fast enough. We either subtract carbs from the meal total or give extra carbs. Half of a correction also brings him down nicely during or after playing. If he eats after baseball, we changed the I:C ratio on the screen with the Ping. I haven't figured out how to do that with the Pod, so we're just dialing down the dose.

9. Butterfly Betty

Tonight at her practice everything seemed to spiral down. It didn't help that she had a low, 69, right before practice started. We had her drink a full 12 oz bottle of gatorage and have a nutra-grain bar all uncovered. Waited until her bg was 115 before we let her go practice. Half way through practice she was 165, so good, but not twenty minutes later, her tummy started hurting. She sat out the rest of practice but when it was over, we had her test again and she was 64. That was witha -20% basal. Gonna dail it down more tomorrow for her game and give her CDE a call in the morning. We're gonna have her have a snack, too. Maybe we'll figure this out one day.