- advertisement -

Sock the stubborn Ragdoll

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by KeltonsMom, Jan 18, 2009.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I am not sure what to do about Socks..As many of you know we found him when he was 8 weeks old and very feral..He seems to have gone through a personality change since being neutered and has become very aggressive towards the other two kittens..Now he is beating up Chuay to the point where blood is being drawn..

This is happening more and more and no matter what I do he will not stop..

We were thinking of making him a garage cat and have a enclosed area so he can go outside through a kitty door, but a garage in not in our near future..Having a house with an open floor plan it would be difficult to keep him separated from the other kittens.

2. KeltonsMom

I forgot to mention that Socks is my antisocial Ragdoll, instead of being a love machine like the other kittens are he will allow himself to be petted only on his terms..And if it is not time for love he will run away from the humans..He never bites or scratches, he just does not want to be petted when we want to pet him..:rolleyes:

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hm.. I wonder if this is some kind of Ragdoll trait, mine can be pretty violent as well.. (Towards people though, not other cats.) Seriously, after I've groomed him I'm COVERED in scratches.

ETA: He goes boneless when he's sitting on my lap, but the smallest noise will startle him and then he won't calm down. ): It sucks.

4. KeltonsMom

From my understanding of the breed they are supposed to be docile and very loving and follow their humans around like a dog..

So, I guess we have anti-ragdolls :eek:

5. KeltonsMom

Socks only goes boneless when he is asleep on my bed and his head is hanging off of the bed..He is tense in human laps..

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, he does that when I DON'T want him to.. When I try to walk the dog, he follows behind, and it gets old fast! When we meet other dogs, he's been known to get chased up trees, and I have to carry him if we go onto a busy road 'cause he's so dozy he'd probably get himself run over! (Yes, I get strange looks with a dog in one hand and a cat under my arm..)

Mop (my ragdoll) is far more attached to the dog than he is to me.. I should find a picture of them together, they're very sweet.

7. KeltonsMom

That is funny..

Socks loves the dogs as well and has been known to flop on them and go to sleep..

I think maybe what could be going on is that Socks and Chuay are trying to figure out who is top cat and Chuay is putting up a fight about it..

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That's always possible. We have three cats, Bijou's the oldest, and Rocky is her son, and we've had those two for much longer than Mop. I think Mop's always known his place in the cat hierarchy, but Rocky and Bijou fight sometimes (over food, places to sleep, etc.). Generally though, Bijou's an outdoor cat, Mop stays with the dog in the kitchen, and Rocky is permanently on my lap, so they don't really come into contact with each other.. I can see it would be harder in an open plan house.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Can you get him a "rabbit cage" or something of the sort for in the house? Big enough to let him move, but to keep him away from the others? At least until he learns to behave?

My Russian Blue was the boss in our house, the other 2 lived together in harmony! My Russian, stayed away from the others, I think it was more fear then anything for her!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  10. KeltonsMom

I will see what I can come up with..If Kelton does not do well at the new online High School then I will be placing him in the public school..I can put all of the cat stuff into the office and make that the cat room for Socks

11. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Have you thought about doping him with catnip and making him a little more mellow?

12. KeltonsMom

He does not like catnip :eek: Is there anything else I could dope him up with LOL..

13. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Bachs Rescue Remedy works for doping.
    Very good stuff.
    Catnip does NOT dope most cats, at least at first.;)
    Feliway spray: kitty pheremones. It can help with aggression to others at times. Also check with your vet to make sure he is not feeling ill or anything. Highly unlikely but better safe than sorry.
    Allene

14. KeltonsMom