- advertisement -

So what's the deal if you need to replace the meter remote for the PING?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Nov 6, 2012.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I'm reading it costs $199 if you lose it. But some places I'm reading they will replace it for free ONCE. Is that true?

DD just got her PING, previously still using the 2020. We haven't decided if we're going to switch from her current Bayer USB meter to the One Touch exclusively. Because she was grandfathered in and allowed to use the Bayer even though it wasn't our insurance's preferred strip, if we switch, I imagine it would be difficult/impossible to switch back if we want to. So far she's still using the USB and then I use the remote at night if I need to bolus her and in the AM when I bolus her for breakfast as she's waking up. I'd kind of like to switch but am nervous about her keeping track of the meter remote. She's very disorganized and loses/misplaces things all the time. She's lost two meters, one we found later that day and the other is still missing somewhere in the house. Not a big deal as we've always had back ups but more difficult if it costs $199!

2. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

My nephew had to have his meter remote replaced. The strips wouldn't go in straight. And as far as i'm aware animas never charged them anything for the replacement meter.

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've had my remote replaced once or twice....if it breaks they'll replace it for free but if you lose it you have to pay for a new one. ut if she loses the remote you could always use another one touch meter if you didn't want to buy another remote

I've never lost my remote...

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

She could always cary another meter with her and dose through the pump if you think she will be in a situation where she may lose it. If she enters her blood sugar into the pump then you will still have that info when you download it.

We don't send the Ping meter to school. They keep our other one touch meters there and enter through the pump

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I lost mine and had to buy a replacement. I've also had it replaced twice under warranty (once for a cracked screen and the other time because some batteries leaked and it completely stopped working). Both times I had to send the old meter back to them, just like with a pump exchange.

So basically, if you have it, and it's under warranty, and it's not working, you get a free replacement. If you lose it, you buy another.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

They've replaced broken ones no questions asked.

I don't trust my daughter with the remote yet. She uses a mini for school/after school stuff. We use the remote at home.

7. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I have never lost a remote .. but have had Kaylee's replaced many times .. they have been great about it. Once it was even broken on the school bus .. they have been great!

Crystal

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

3 months or so into pumping...Animas replaced our meter 3 times due to sticky buttons and screen issues. We just sent old one back after replacement arrived. No lost meter...knock on wood. You might be able to get a free meter from your endo. :cwds:

9. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Eek. I don't want to use two meters due to the record keeping. I'm quite fond of the USB as it's so easy to download and I'm MAJORLY bad with technology. We suck at logging so this makes it easy for record keeping. How is that with the Ping?

I can't decide. She's not sure what she wants to do so I guess we'll just stick with the USB for a bit longer and I'll just use the remote at night and input the BG. Which is fine, I really love not having to disturb her by digging around for the pump.

10. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We are bad at logging too. :eek: I've never downloaded her meter, but I do download her pump...usually when she is in the shower. If she is using another meter...ie a mini one touch when she enters her bg on the pump it will be stored on the pump as a manual bg entry. It all shows up on the diasend reports. Your endo will also have access to those reports too if you add them to your account.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

With the Diasend/Animas program, it's no big deal to download multiple meters. You just plug it in and all the data is recorded. We download the Ping remote, the pump and then the mini. Takes all of 5-10 minutes max.