- advertisement -

So, What are your hobbies? Crafts anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mike&Dans.Mom, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Anyone got any fun hobbies?

I like quilting, but haven't made it down to the basement to sew in awhile.

I collected a bunch of acorns that I want to turn into some type of fall decor for Thanksgiving. Anyone have any ideas??

2. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I love to sew and make things for family members. Also love to make my specail soups and jams and jellies when I can get the ingredients. Anyone in my area know of a good source for rhubarb or concord grapes I would appreciate hearing about it.

3. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Rhubarb! Yummmy. My FIL grows his own in the backyard and he makes strawberry-rhubarb pie from scratch:D

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I like knitting and crochet - and cross stitch. I stopped knitting for a long time because my hands hurt so much from it and picked up crochet instead. Then I tried knitting again and it has been much better. Ravelry is a great site for knitters - I have the same user name there if you want to "friend" me.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I found an awesome (pretty healthy) new hobby a couple of years ago. Couponing! I had NO IDEA there was an entire world of crazy people out there who did this. I'm an addict now! DH says any hobby saving us $$ is better than one spending!

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I crochet. I dabble in sewing but nothing serious. I'm making denim quilts for two of my boys for Christmas this year. I kind of like to fart around with things when it catches my fancy. I used to bake a lot but life is just too busy for as much of that lately. I can lots of fruit and salsa.

We are running really low on cash this year so we are having a homemade Christmas. I'm wondering why I didn't ponder that a little longer before it came out of my mouth! With six kids and all of the various other people we give gifts to I am wondering if I'll get it all done.

7. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I collect stuff for the day when I'm not so overwhelmed I can actually sit down and make something.... you can see my basement on "hoarders.. buried alive".

8. sassypantz

sassypantz Approved members

I'm a baker and a knitter. I'm on Ravelry as well, same username.

For some reason, I just can't get the hang of crochet--I pull the stitches too tight, I think. I used to paint a little, but that's an expensive hobby! I sew once in a while, but I don't have a lot of space, so that's pretty rare these days. So I tend to bounce between knitting projects and cake decorating or other baking projects for holidays.

I've also started a side project--a cartoon blog. I've only got one post up right now, but I'll post a link once I've got a few more done.

9. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Cross stitch used to be my biggest hobby - I made a business of it with an online cross stitch shop named Fabrics2U. Name was changed to Kim's Stitching Shop for the last year or so, then I had to close it due to starting homeschool with my daughter. Haven't done any since DS's dx. Maybe one day I'll pick it up again.

I still love to read, visit this forum :D, play bejeweled blitz on FB, and play Sims3 :cool:

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

My hubby likes to tease me that I would buy a 10 LB bag of dog poop if I had a coupon for it:eek: I love to coupon and save money. Im also into rebating and bargain shopping. I went to Kohl's yesterday and got a $35 dutch oven for $3.40 after rebates and coupon:D Im still thrilled

11. Traci

Traci Approved members

I scrapbook for my children. It started as little notes on those cute baby calendars when my triplets were in the hospital, then morphed into a calendar page each month for each child complete with decorative pages and pics. I document funny things they say and do, accomplishments, struggles, etc. Now I'm almost eleven years invested and wondering when I should stop documenting.

On the other hand, if any of them ever become famous (or infamous;)) I'm ready to write the book! Lol

12. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

I collect infusion set caps, which is fortunate because every two or three days I open an infusion set package and find another one. I keep my main collection in a big red sippy cup on top of the china cabinet, but I also store them in other places like the bathroom, diabetic drawer, swim bag, etc...

When I get tired of organizing my collection, I like to play the violin and play hockey (but not at the same time).

13. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I like to crochet when i have the time. I also like to scrapbook.

14. KHM

KHM Approved members

Hey Carol! I knit, too; crochet less but i can do it. I think that I'm KHM as well on Ravelry; let's be friends, eh? I'll look you up! I need some new knitting buddies; mine have all gotten busy. I'm going to Rav to look you up right away!

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Does CWD count?:eek:

16. KHM

KHM Approved members

I have more hobbies than blood glucose measurements!

I love all the fiber crafts: I love to do hand spinning, I knit a good bit, I love to sew and have quilted and actually plan to make each of my three daughters full sized quilts for Christmas which means much less knitting :(

I make jewelry. I love that. I tried to sell it and while I think its every bit as good as what other people offer on the market, its a heck of a lot of work to build a jewelry business. Of course, now I have plenty of materials to work with...

I have scrapbooked and look forward to picking it up again some day; I find its one of those things that takes lots of space and is often not easy to carry projects over days; that doesn't work well for my craft space or my kids' fascination with the supplies and tools.

I used to love to cook. i don't love to cook any more.

I'm a music FREAK and I'm always trying to learn a new instrument and I'm always listening to (and buying, unfortunately) new music. Tech geek, too.

Nice thread! Oh and speaking of: I used to do some really exciting needlework: began with cross stitch and moved on to more mixed stitch projects: hardanger; pulled and drawn thread. I was absolutely nuts for that kind of thing but its another thing that wasn't really a good match for a young family. Too much distraction.

17. KHM

KHM Approved members

I think maybe I should begin collecting used glucose strips...they must have some value because gosh knows no one else picks them up or throws them away... :p

18. joan

joan Approved members

I don't know how to put a link onto this so google needle felted acorns. They are a lot of fun to make and look really pretty. I also knit, crochet and really want to sew but for some reason don't. I signed up for an on line jewelry making class with welding. I am getting a little apprehensive thinking about that, but I love to make things.

19. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My hobbies have dwindled over the years....I now just focus on scrapbooking. Although, last night I spent a lot of time making bracelets and headbands out of ducktape for spirit day tomorrow for my oldest!!!! Does ducktape count as a hobby?

20. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I adore quilting... I havent seen my machines (yes, more then one) in years, probably since mom passed. I did a stint of making pump cases for matt.

my newest venture is going to make a card table play house for my great nephews.