- advertisement -

So proud of my son

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

A year ago my son announced that when he turned 16 he was going to eat a perfect diet. I was skeptical. I doubt he really understood what that would mean nor do I think there is a perfect diet but it was his goal. He also planned to pig out at McDonalds on his birthday as a last hurrah.

So sure enough he did the pig out and it wasn't even all that extreme. We celebrated his birthday a few days later at Olive garden and he said that for special days he would relax and eat without regard for a perfect diet.

Well it's been a little over two weeks now and he has stuck with it remarkably well. He has eaten no sugary items except for treating lows and has been eating lots of salads and fruits and vegetables every day like a growing athlete (weightlifting and football and lacrosse) should. He has tried several new vegetables like brussel sprouts, peppers, and baked sweet potato. He cut way back on the processed meats and has had no processed boxed foods like crackers except for some lara bars. In fact, he wanted to give up all grains and he has stuck with it except for some rice. I like that he has made exceptions and not been too extreme. He wanted to eat less carbs and rather than choosing some crazy number like 12 he has targeted a goal of about 150 carbs per day not including carbs for lows. I'm not here to brag that he is doing so well or eating so perfectly and I suspect that many of you would have a different idea of what perfect would be. I just am proud that he made a hard plan and is sticking with it.

So I always thought that if he ate differently it would show up in his diabetes control. He was reading some statistics to me from the Dex clarity and apparently over the last 14 days his average BG has been 118 and his estimated A1C is 5 point something. A big improvement from our last clinic appointment just a few weeks ago when it was 7 point something. When I look at his graph it looks more like it did some months ago when he was honeymooning more strongly and his body was self-correcting to a greater degree than it does now. I just love seeing a relatively flat graph for most of the day. Now, I'm not saying that he never has lows or highs - he just has less of them.

The clinic on the other hand was far less than enthusiastic when they heard about his plan. The nurse seemed horrified and warned him very strongly that he would have to worry about ketones and told him to check regularly. They agreed on twice a week and so far it has always been zero to trace. The Endo was concerned that there was a formula which determined how many carbs he should be eating. She suggested 325 and honestly it was then my turn to be horrified. I have a pretty big sweet tooth and I never approach 325 carbs. Yikes.

Anyway, everyone makes their own plan, even here in our house each one of us eats quite differently. I am just proud that he is accomplishing something he wants to do and I think his results might be a curiosity for some of you.

2. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Good for your son! I understand that diabetics need carbs, but I think eating the right kind of carbs is what is essential. I started the Whole 30 Diet (no sugars of any kind, except fruits, no grains, no dairy) in Septembe and while I didn't finish, I lost nearly 15 pounds. I felt awesome. However, life got in the way and I didn't have the time to prep all my food. I plan on getting back on again after Christmas.

I think it is so ingrained in our brains that we need dairy and bread that it is hard to think otherwise, especially for kids. I have always loved bread, but I didn't miss it when I was doing this diet (or way of life).

Glad it is working for him!