- advertisement -

So now which one?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Just Jen, May 16, 2015.

1. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

So since we're going to have to get a new pump because the pump we just got is now obsolete, I have to look more closely at the Vibe and the TSlim - both of which I had discounted before? For those of you with kids on either one, why did you choose that one? What feature/s does it have that you think make it superior? Not happy about having to spend more time on this but I guess I don't have a choice do I?

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm going to find out how long they're going to be manufacturing supplies for before I totally give up on being able to use my Snap. Deltec stopped making pumps in like 2009(?) and that supplies can still be bought and there are still people that use it. Unfortunately, Deltec said right away they were doing a controlled exit from the market. Snap's seems much more abrupt.

Further, when Deltec closed, there was initially one company offering transitioning patients discounted options. After a week or so every company jumped on board. Here's hoping t:slim comes up with an offer.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Wow, that really sucks. I'm sorry.

We use the t:slim and are very happy with it. It is sooo intuitive and my son can do his own boluses. If you have an iDevice you can download a t:slim simulator and see what it's like to give a bolus, correction, extended bolus, temp rate, etc. It's quite elegant and wonderful.

We looked at Snap. The basic idea is so obvious I can't believe that other pumps don't use pen cartridges. Ironically, the cartridge change and tube fill is the only negative I have about the t:slim - it's fussy and takes some practice, but we are pros now.

Good luck.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

For my son, it came down to cartridge size. What is the age of your T1? We have always been very happy with Animas in the past but as a teen who can consume large amounts of food and whose basal is crazy high...200 units just wasn't doing it.

He's been on the tslim for a few years and it's a good fit.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one quite frankly. If Animas is offering a good discount or trade of some sort, I'd definitely factor that in. But if you think in the next 4 years 200 units will be an issue, consider Tandem/tslim.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Get ahold of both pumps and play with them. I think the menus on the t:slim are superior to anything out there, and we also like that it holds 300 units.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm reasonably happy with the tslim. I have had issues with the cartridges and I do think the cartridge change out process is more drawn out than it needs to be. Also, the pump itself wastes a lot of insulin. I somehow lose about 60-70 units of every 300 I put in. I do think it is the best pump on the market right now but really they all do basically the same thing. I love the ease of entering carbs for a meal bolus and also entering my blood sugar for corrections. No more scrolling! The customer service is great but I hope they reexamine their thoughts on an upgrade policy for when dex integration is approved.

7. Just Jen

My T1 is 7 1/2. I figure we've got another four years until puberty hits, if her older sisters are any indication. Considering our pump hasn't been used even a week, I doubt there's any trade that will give me my money back, which is what I want at this point. I fear our insurance company is going to deny any request, knowing the issues we've had in the past. However, we also have an HSA and have met our deductible, so that might be to our advantage. Still would have to scrounge up 10% though. Anyone know a ballpark for how long the Dex integration is on the t:slim?

8. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

IMO a 7 year old is not ready to interpret BG numbers beyond the obvious, and the alarms being on the pump would mean that I could not monitor at night or use share/nightscout during the day. For a preteen I'd focus on integration but for now the two devices actually makes more sense for how we manage the disease.

I can't possibly believe that an insurance co would want you using a medical device with no tech support, warranty, etc. What parts are proprietary (infusion sets, cartridges etc.) and therefore not available when the current stock is gone?

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

10. funnygrl

The pump consists of two parts, the controller, which is the part you buy initially, and pump bodies. The pump bodies are a consumable. The house the batteries, the reservoir compartment, and the piston and motor that drive the insulin. This is all disposable and replaced weekly. The tubing is also proprietary, since it screws onto the Humalog cartridge and connects to the pump body.

11. funnygrl

12. Just Jen

So are you saying that if you have the Vibe, you cannot also use the Dexcom receiver? My thought, if we were to go that route, would be that she could look at the pump and I could have the receiver with me. (She is with me most of the time, or at least within the range of the receiver.) And I would think that you could still get the new Dexcom with Share and use it with a phone. (This feature will not be used by use for some time to come as the required type of phone - one for her and one for me - plus the necessary cell plan, will not be in our budget for the foreseeable future. Even the cheap plans are too expensive for us.) But I really have no idea about that.

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I suppose you could but you would then need to calibrate two devices. I just don't see the benefit of having the Dex graph on the pump for a younger child. When he's ready to act on the numbers, we'll probably get him a watch; the next generation Dex will go straight from the transmitter to a phone, and mirrored on your wrist.

Having Dex and pump on one device is only critical once they are closed loop, which is a whole 'nother conversation!

As for data plans, check out one of the resellers, like Ting or Page Plus. Very cheap data plans. We got a 4S on craigslist and activated it on Page Plus and it comes out to about $5-7 month for the times he's not on wi-fi. Also there are DIY open source options for non iphone devices on the CGM in the Cloud Facebook group.

14. funnygrl

Just got off the phone with my supplier. She confirmed that supplies will not continue to be manufactured. The supplies Asante still has are being sold to distributors at a discounted rate. My supply company has not decided if they'll participate in that, since they don't want to be left with supplies for a pump people are actively trying to transition off of. Asante laid everyone off with no notice on Friday. The distributors were notified Friday evening with the rest of us.

15. Just Jen

I called my insurance company this morning and told them about the situation and suggested that they not pay the claim. She called the supply company and we had a three way call. They are going to work to transition us to a t:slim. Honestly, one of the biggest reasons we chose the Snap was how easy it is to change sets. I watched videos last night watching a set change on both the Animas and the t:slim and was very disappointed by all the "unnecessary" steps and wait time. At least, I see them as unnecessary given that I know there is a better way. It sounds as though my insurance company will pay for a new pump given that they had not yet paid the claim for the first one and I informed them of the problem right away. I also asked the supply rep if she had any inkling why the went out of business. Her guess was that because it was still considered the new guy, there were insurance companies not yet willing to pay for it, therefore less people were able to purchase them. The upfront cost of the Snap is considerably less, but the supply cost on the back end is a bit higher. I feel very bad for all the Asante staff I worked with. They were all exceptional.

16. funnygrl

I feel terrible about the staff too. The people I worked with were fabulous too.

I paid for my controller out of pocket. The person at the supply company said she had to talk to her manager, but she thought that they would refund me for that purchase.

I'm going to call Animas and see what their offer is, but I'll probably just go back to my Omnipod. That's out of warranty in like 2 weeks, so here's hoping that doesn't have issues next!

17. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

The tSlims that are being shipped out now have some upgrades, one of which makes the process of filling the cartridge quicker. tSlim users won't get that update until later in the year. We love tSlim, and had used a pump before that used prefilled cartridges, that we gave up on within 2 months because of safety issues that led to the pump being taken off of the market in the US.

18. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

You could always look at the omnipod. I bet they'd offer you a pdm for $200 or possibly less and insurance covers the pods just like infusion sets.

19. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Well, the T:Slim is my favorite pump ever, so I'm a bit biased ;) I like so much about it - the touchscreen is awesome, the simplicity of use, the 300u cartridge, the slower dosage (the insulin goes in much more slowly and it turns out that it makes boluses more effective for DD), the look, the menus. However, the deciding factor was that my DD liked it the most...and as she was the person wearing it, her opinion mattered the most. The 'iPod-ness' of it gave it a cool factor and I imagine that's what made her like it. Now that she uses it, she loves it. My son has trialed it (swapped pumps with her for a bit) and liked it, too. Very user-friendly.

We've never used an Animas pump. Every time we've looked at pumps, it was looked at. I just didn't care for the menus. I would have gotten used to them if the kids had picked one, of course, but nothing seemed intuitive to me during demos. So for us, it was just never the right pump.

20. glko

glko Approved members

We have the Animas Ping (not Vibe) for my 11yo. I love the remote bolus feature from the meter, which is why I don't think we would change to the Vibe if we could. Just started on the Dexcom a month ago and he does not mind at all carrying the receiver around extra. I asked if he would rather have the receiver built into the pump but give up the remote bolus feature and he said he would not give up remote bolus. We probably do 80% or more of boluses from the meter, especially handy during nighttime BG checks when he needs a correction. We also keep the Dex receiver in our room at night, I know we could view the BGs on the phone but in middle of night is much easier to just push a button on the receiver to see where he is at.