- advertisement -

So.. if not type one??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I really don't think that Kayla doesn't have type one but I am just throwing it out there. I know she isn't like other kids with T1 though. We are coming up on two years here in a few months and really it isn't a tough road for her. She takes very little insulin, she is still "honeymooning" but has never come off insulin since going on it. Her I:C ratio's are pretty high for a teenager.. 1:20 and 1:30 depending on the meal her TDD ranges from about 11 to 15 units for a 103 lb kid. She has her highs and she has her lows but not like her other friends that are D.. her highest number ever has only been in the 370's and she has been in the 40's. She has been pumping for a year and other than just a little tweaking.. haven't changed a thing. I bumped up one basal by .010 over the summer and all is well again.

Today at her endo appt, with the APRN that she always sees, except once a year when she sees the endo. She commented on what her autoimmunity status was because she doesn't present like a typical T1 kid. She looked back in her chart and saw she was positive for GAD65 and ICA and then said.. well, she does have the autoimmune markers though.

Just wondering, what else could it be? Her brother is very much like her.. same positive antibodies.. high 2 hour pp numbers but not needing insulin yet. our youngest child positive GAD. Are there other types of type ones? Just looking for input not looking for a debate or saying my kid isn't diabetic.. if you know what I mean.

2. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

My son was in "honeymoon"for almost 3 years....Now he is higher everything.Big jump for us.He doesn't present the normal type 1 either,so his endo says..

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If she is this easy to control, I would count my blessings. My son stays in great control, as long as he gets insulin when he eats.

Whatever she has, the treatment seems to be insulin.

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We've had a similar experience -- really long honeymoon, great A1Cs, no big extremes, no scary night lows, no problems with the pump...

He's just now coming off of the honeymoon three years in and we're seeing things change a bit, but still fairly easy to manage.

I keep waiting for "the other shoe to drop," but maybe there are some lucky individuals who are like this.

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Thanks, it is reassuring that she is not an oddity like the aprn made it seem. :)

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Sigh...Coco used to be that way - for 2 1/2 years. I miss it. Now it is just insane.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I think it's latent autoimmune diabetes of adulthood minus the adulthood.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I had an atypical presentation because my D was caught on accident and I honeymooned for about 18 months. I had very high levels of antibodies when they were finally checked 10 or 11 months in. At 150lbs I had a tdd in the 14-18u/day range and when my honeymoon stopped my insulin needs just about doubled overnight and I became much more prone to highs over 200 and ketones (neither of which had been much of a problem for me before then.. a "bad" number for a skipped meal bolus for example was only around 180).

Personally,I would think given your daughter's extended honeymoon as well as your son who has been diagnosed for nearly a year now and isn't on insulin yet (right?), that this is just what is "normal" for your kids... it may be more on one extreme of normal as far as the general T1 population goes, but that doesn't really mean you should worry it's something else.

Personally, enjoy it :) I wish I could go back in time to when my D management was more forgiving than it is now ;)

9. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I agree with the other posters. If she is positive for antibodies, that confirms the autoimmune component.

If I remember correctly (and I may not), wasn't Kayla's D caught incredibly early? Didn't she have a near-normal A1c? She probably could have gone undiagnosed for several more months. My bet is that your kids just have very long, strong honeymoons, coupled with a very early diagnosis.

Be thankful that Kayla's honeymoon is strong during puberty. It's one of the most difficult times to manage blood sugars!

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i just googled this, and it does sound like maybe she does have this version of diabetes.