- advertisement -

So I feel like I need to go sit in the school parking lot...lol.. no really I do

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lgouldin, Sep 7, 2011.

1. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

1st day of Middle School & only 2 months in to D. I wanted to drive her to school but she wanted to ride the bus. It took every ounce of energy I had and 2 friends to make me not follow the bus:eek:.

I saw the nurse and all the teacher last night at "Back to School night". Nurse seemed really great and there are already 2 kids on pumps and 2 on MDI going to the school that she cares for, now she has 5:(. Best part is all her classes except for 2 are on the same hallway as the nurses offfice (1 call is next door). Her teachers didn't know much about D but they all said they were going to the nurse as soon and they were finished meeting the parents (I did give them handouts I printed from here:)).

Gonna be hard to get anything done today...Keys in 1 hand and phone in the other...BTW I'm tying this with my toes:rolleyes:.

hmmmm maybe I should go sit in the parking lot:confused: (both friends have gone home now) they will never know :p

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Hugs, I hope she has a wonderful first day! and you don't go sit in the parking lot ;)

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think as a mom whose kid was dx'd 7+ years ago and he has been in school now over 4 years I can't hardly remember what it was like to be in your shoes. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to be 2 months into diagnosis and sending my kid off to school. I think the good news there is that eventually the panic goes away and diabetes becomes the new normal thing.:cwds:

To focus on the positive - your child is 11 years old - old enough to take those small steps of responsibility within limits. And it sounds like you have a great nurse who has some background with type 1 - and all the classrooms are close to the nurse. This is a nice, controlled situation to send your child into with adults who are trained to help if there is a problem.

I would look into getting a 504 plan if you haven't thought about it yet.

You have every right to feel anxious and nervous and you definitely have done all the right things with preparing the way at school by talking to the staff - and you are giving her that chance just to be the typical middle schooler taking the bus and going to school. Hang in there!

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Once you see the nurse has things under control you will feel much better. Don't take advice from me because I sa in the parking lot for weeks :eek:

5. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I'm right there with you. Today is my daughter's first full day of K and I feel like her teacher is a little too relaxed about the whole D thing. Very sweet and comforting, but I admit I'd like to see a little panic in her eyes so I know she's on "alert" (If that makes any sense). My husband is driving me up at lunch so I can watch/do a walk thru with the nurse. We're only a month from diagnosis too- which is probably why both you and I dropped our kids at school and came dirrectly here.:cwds:

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Awww Lisa:cwds: That takes me back to Steven's first day of pre-school. We'd already been doing the d thing for a year but that day I stood out in the hall most of the morning and peaked around the corner;) People must of thought I was a total nutjob! LOL! I hope she comes home and is bubbling over with excitement about middle school and her teachers and her friends. For now, sit back and have something chocolatey, youve earned it;)

7. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Hope she had a fabulous first day!

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

It sounds like your daughter is in good hands.

I am also nervous to venture too far from home for fear of an emergency. My son is in first grade this year and we have a new school nurse. This is her first year as a school nurse so she has little experience with diabetes.

9. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I know what you are going through. This is our 3rd week of school and I have been in everyday at lunch to check on my DD. It does get easier.

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I remember it like a feeling of nausea--I can still feel that wave of nausea and shortness of breath when I think about it too hard. lol. Gosh, that was a long time ago.

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Oh, I feel for you! My nonD daughter just started middle school...and that's freaking me out. And I remember how panicked I was sending my son to preschool when he was newly dx. Put the two together...do you like martinis??;):rolleyes:

Just keep white knuckle-ing it and stay as upbeat and positive as you can in front of your daughter! One day soon, you won't have to fake it for her. Last year when my son started eating at school for the first time in first grade, I spent the mornings staring at the clock and worrying he would forget to go the nurse before lunch or something else would go wrong. I had to laugh the other day when the phone rang around lunch time and I wondered "who could that be?," actually forgetting that it was the regular time for the nurse to call for his lunch check! It felt great to forget!;) You'll get there too!

12. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

When my son was dx it was a Wed evening. He missed one day of school and was back on Fri. At the time he was the only diabetic in the school. I was so incredibly nervous that day. A complete wreck so I understand where you are coming from. Vincent starts middle school next year and I'm already starting to freak out about him switching classes, new school with a new nurse, etc. Hang in there and it will get easier.

13. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

I dropped off my boy too(2 months also dx).. so I'm right there with you.. I made reminders to Daniel yesterday..(Don't worry mom)....easier said then done.. He didn't even want to have his mini meter in his bag...I told him "sorry no say so on that one"...its in there with glucose tabs and his snack....Teacher was very nice..I didn't have time to chat with her much..she said had dealt with her dad on this...but she explained quickly he was on 4 shots daily and now only on oral...ahhh type 2 LOL..anyhow.. I will talk to her after class is out.. I gave her Daniel D goody box(forgot to put gel in there)....and make sure she doesn't have any questions.. She has had d kids before.. Anyway..he's in the hands of God and school.. and I hope and pray to keep my sanity and my boy will be happy and speak up if he feels anything wrong...

14. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Um, my dd just started middle school yesterday and she was diagnosed in kindergarten. And I was *still* tempted to do that. I had taken the day off work as I still needed to get and fill out the medication forms and talk to someone at the bus garage (first year riding the bus). After I had done so I thought, hmm....I could just sit here all day. Then I realized that would be kind of silly considering we are less than two miles from the school in a small town with little traffic.

I did stay at the school the first day she went back to kindergarten at diagnosis. No nurses in the school and they didn't tell me they already had a student with D and had some clue what to do. They didn't give me any forms to fill out etc, I just gave them what the doctor gave me and they looked kind of clueless. So I wasn't reassured. Eventually I learned they could handle it and very well at that lol.

15. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Thanks so much for your support and kind words. Feels really good to have people how understand this. This day has taken forever and still a while before I can get her off the bus.

On a bright note....My house have been cleaned from top to bottom and all laundry done:D Gotta love some nerves energy;)

But now I'm eating:( and thinking of things I can cook and eat :eek: good thing it's only 2 more hours before I can get her off the bus

16. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I'm doing the countdown too.. I'm on crutches, so no cleaning for me, but I am going to make some coffee!

17. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

The first day is the hardest :) The good thing is that you were sort of given a gift of having a summer diagnosis, I know that sounds weird, but your daughter is 2 months into this, her basal rates and I/C are no longer a total guess, and she probably knows what a low feels like. But I do understand how you feel...I was very anxious when my daughter went back to school for the first time a week after being diagnosed. This year my daughter moved to the high school and it was like deja vu...huge building, huge outdoor space, tons of kids and teachers that don't know her or look out for her (yet). So far, so good. I hope your daughter has a great experience!

18. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Oh my gosh how I remember the first day... My son was diagnosed on 12/26/09, during winter break.. that first CRAZY day back I was in the office with all of his supplies, low "kits" for each classroom, handouts, etc., I was a walking mess and probably panicked all the teachers:eek:! I was so scared to send him to school (13 and 8th grade)... I stayed home from work that day "just in case"... Then he went on to the high school last year, and I was a wreck then, too, new school, new teachers, new nurses... So THIS year, 10th grade, the nurse said to me, "wow, you really HAVE relaxed since last year.":p LAST year, I had a little sitdown with teachers and adminstrators, handouts, low "Kits", etc, and I probably had panic written all over my face... While I did send in low "kits" for each room containing handouts, carbs, etc., I wasnt quite as nervous... My son is older than most of yours, but no matter, I still totally worry about him... sigh.

I hope all or your kids had a great day today!!

19. lisac

lisac Approved members

I can imagine how you feel. We decided to homeschool our children (only partially b/c of Hadlee's D) we also are EXTREMELY unhappy with our school system. I just can't imagine sending Hads to kindergarten and not be a mess with worry! Too many other kids in class for the teacher to be able tp watch her for lows (Hadlee has hypoglycemia unawareness and NO symptoms of low BG until she is under 50.) I applaud the parents who can "let go":)

20. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

So how did it go?