- advertisement -

So How Were Your Thanksgiving BG's #?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Nov 25, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Just curious how everyone did? LOL

Daniel did great the early part...woke up 115, lunch 115, dinner 154....bedtime check....258:eek:...recheck..went up some...oh well..lol..his carbs were some mac n cheese..two rolls....and corn...and an uncovered spoonful of ice cream lol. Had his snack and correction....hopefully comes down by the 2am check...but I guess it could have been worse...

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Eh, we were okayish. Had a long night with a very stubborn high, and struggled to keep her from skyrocketing all day. She stayed a bit higher than we'd like, but between all the eating, a ton of playing, and a case of the sniffles due to some allergies, she did pretty good.

3. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Pretty good most of the day. One of our family traditions is the 3 of us have pie for breakfast. I was expecting a huge spike from that but he only tested at 116 before we sat down to the big meal. We did have a spike about 10:20pm to 240. Not terribly unexpected since he has eaten like a horse today. (tons of roast chicken, tons of mashed potatoes,cranberry sauce,2 pcs. pumpkin pie, 1 pc. peach pie, ice cream,sweet potatoes,corn,5 biscuits,milk. Cannot wait to see his appetite when he is 16!) Waiting for 12:20 for the recheck. All in all I'd say it was pretty good. The 240 isn't bothering us though. Pie for breakfast and all this food only comes once a year. :cwds:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  4. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Ok numbers throughout the day - Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and pie at about 5:00. Bedtime BG at 132. 12:30 a.m. - 350 (fat spike!??), about to do 2:30 a.m. re-check. I think it's going to be a long night!

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM since 12-10

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

ok her numbers ranged between 63-152. The 63 was after dessert, she had a slice of cheese cake w/brownie crust. I wasn't sure of carbs so i just went by the cheesecake in the calorie king book. Must have been slightly off.

6. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

My DD ran high (200-250) from afternoon into the night. She did a lot of grazing and I guessed at the carbs in most of the food she ate. Everyone had a good time and that's what matters:D

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I had a horrible BG day yesterday, and I don't even celebrate Thanksgiving! High high high.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

They were fair. She ate like she had never seen food before!
    Our worst number was 395:eek: Considering she ate 145 carbs in one sitting:eek: I assume that was all the fat hitting at once!

Oh well, it was just one day. Start fresh today.

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

They were actually pretty good. Between 78 and 108 all day until midnight check. He raided the fruit tray and dip before bed and I under dosed so he ended up 200. :rolleyes:

10. jtolpin

jtolpin Approved members

BGs

During the day perfect, going to bed, perfect 120-130 or so....

midnight check - 260, corrected.

3 AM check - 260, corrected....

Its 24 hrs from last site change, and unfortunately, this is the way we are heading. Whether it was the site to change, or just a spike, like everyone else, tough to say...

But we're switching to contact/detach quite soon. :/

(But on a different note, she had a lot of wheat based products yesterday with no issue.... Have we turned a curve for wheat and allergies, I find it too early right now, but looks interesting) :)

11. jtolpin

jtolpin Approved members

Whoa!

Isnt that awesome :) For us, 145 carbs is what, like 7 units of humalog... takes a solid minute to deliver :)

12. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We had a pretty fantastic day, number wise, especially with hitting 2 seperate families for dinners. His daily average was 98. =)

We had one low after his first lunch, but that one had more to do with WAY to much fun with cousins than anything else. *haha* And it wasn't anything major, just a couple tabs, then back outside. ;)

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Substitute Ds and he....and this is our day EXACTLY!

14. caspi

caspi Approved members

#'s were good most of the day - he did a good job bolusing while grazing, lol. Last night, however, we dealt with fat spikes and an underbolused piece of chocolate cream pie. :rolleyes: We're back on track this a.m. ;)

15. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

Our numbers were decent all day and I was very surprised to see she was 100 staying steady on dex when we left from dinner. Surprised again by a 51 at bedtime but treated/checked and she went to sleep. At midnight I checked her again and saw a number I've neve seen before and hope to never see again - she was 22! :eek: She was lucid although sleepy and remained calm the entire time I was treating and rechecking (confirmed with different meter and strips x 2). Considering it was at least 4 hours post bolus, I have no clue why that happened. She wasn't running around or having any major activity and the last thing she ate was pecan pie with ice cream!!! :rolleyes: I was glad to see she's feeling ok this morning and was only 208 after everything I treated with last night!

16. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

In a nutshell...

Morning high numbers
    New site
    Trace ketones
    Kinked site
    Occusions (3)
    Moderate ketones

It seemed that whatever can happen did yesterday.. and here I am worrying about how many carbs to dose for....

At bedtime she was 175 and we all clapped and cheered afer such a whirlwind day of high (HI) blood sugars.

At 3 a.m. she was 75 (got a little juice) and woke up at 98. WHEW!

17. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We did ok considering that I realized this morning that when I changed his I:C last week I raised them instead of lowering. 70 was the lowest with 200 at the highest. :)

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

7.05. Our pump threshold is 6.00, so we had to break it up into two deliveries!

19. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I was nervous about the holiday, dd spending time with her dad, and expecting some really high BGs. Instead we had one minor low of 68 right before Tgiving dinner with my folks. She's so happy with how she looks and feels, and didn't want to throw things off, so yesterday morning she planned what to eat with my family, and what to eat with her dad's, came up with a schedule for insulin based around meals and which snacks she needed to eat / skip, and carb counted ahead of time. She asked to take the scale so she could measure portions for an accurate count. I wasn't going to do that b/c of the holiday and not wanting to make D a big deal, but it's what she wanted. (Seems like one day of too much food and high #s takes a toll on how dd feels the following two or three days, so I can understand that.) dd got to eat all her fav foods, felt full but comfortable, and never went higher than 181, even with pie and a double serving of ice cream.

Like someone else in this thread, we have a tradition of eating pie for breakfast, just the day after Thanksgiving. I'm thinking pie is a little easier to handle b/c dd ad I both hate crust. (Normally I make crustless pumpkin pie, but couldn't after our accident.) I don't know why I was so scared of this holiday, but feel relieved, even though I know the next could be full of high values - my kids just showed me that I need to relax, trust, and go with the flow.

20. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Site change last night...woke up at 66. Breakfast with 5 g uncovered. 130 before lunch. count carbs/talk/eat/feed baby/keep other kids from fighting/cut meat...I SWAG'd at about 130 carbs. She ate like a horse! Two hours later she was 180. Small correction. Two hours later 308. Fat spike! I spent the evening chasing highs. She was down to 170 by bedtime, hung in the mid 100s-low 200s most of the night, then leveled off to a nice 91 this morning :) Pretty darn successful and lots of fun!