- advertisement -

So, how many pods have you had that won't stop screaming?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, May 28, 2011.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We just had our first screamer today! Jayden called me in a panic about 4pm, from a friend's house, of course, and held out the phone for me to hear the screaming pod. She went into the PDM and deactivated the pod, but the screaming wouldn't cease. I told her to find a hammer and kill it. She didn't believe me at first, but then she went and found one and did the deed. Mission accomplished...dead pod!

But seriously, how many of these have you had? :eek: :eek:

2. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

A couple a year.

If it's screaming, then she didn't deactivate it, but instead lost the pod.

You have to be careful with the prompts to make sure the pod isn't "discarded" -- that term means "give up finding the pod, and pretend it doesn't exist, wherever it is, it won't be deactivated".

3. dqmomof3

Scott, walk me through that. What would/could she have done to lose the pod? She didn't physically lose it - it was on her body. But what made the PDM lose the pod?

Thanks!

4. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Let's say that you press some buttons on the PDM and it fails to communicate with the pod a few times. The PDM will ask "Discard pod?". You answer yes only if you have lost the pod, as in, it was torn off and you can't find the thing. If you didn't have this option, then if you lost a pod you'd be stuck.

If you actually go to the menu and say "Change pod", and the pod is in range, will deactivate the old pod first, and quiet any alarms.

5. dqmomof3

Oh! OK, I get it. So it's likely that if something started not working right, she told the PDM to discard the pod instead of deactivate the pod. That's what made it scream. I will ask her when I see her tomorrow!

6. sdneese

sdneese Approved members

Screaming pods

We've had this happen quite a few times now. Last time was in the middle of the End of Grade testing!! Needless to say, it was a little disruptive. We found out there is a "soft spot" on the pod that you can stick a paperclip through and knock out the battery connection. It's on the top of the pod, near the pointy end. You can see a white disk under the plastic with a little dimple on it. Just punch there and wiggle the clip around.

7. sdneese

sdneese Approved members

One more thing...

We also learned the hard way to change the battery (way) before it dies or it loses connection with the pod and the PDM has to be reset. Insulin boluses won't calculate for several hours after it happens and it is a pain.

8. etringali

etringali Approved members

Usually when we get a screamer, it's due to static. If it's just an occlusion alarm, it'll shut up when it talks to the pdm. Now the screamers are mighily annoying, but beating them into submission with a really big hammer is quite satisfying, and it shuts em up.

9. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Jeremy has had a few screamers; one during a quiet period in class :). He always tries the paper clip trick but he inevitably has to pry the cover off. Once the cover is off, the piezoelectric buzzer contact springs fall out and the pod is silenced.

Remember to keep the dead pod so you can read the lot number and pod number back to Insulet and they will replace it.

10. etringali

etringali Approved members

how does he get the darn thing open? I've yet to manage that and would like to see the inside workings.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Just take a dull table knife and pry the top off, it comes off pretty easily once you break the rubber seal. As soon as you pry it open, the alarm stops because the springs that contact the alarm buzzer don't make contact.

We've had 10 or 20 alarm in 4 years, and every one was silenced using the PDM. One showed up alarming in the box when it arrived, that one we had to pry open.