- advertisement -

So here we are...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by njswede, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes, you are correct, he will most likely go through phases with this illness of being OK with it, hating it, etc. Most all of our children go through that and it is completely normal. It sounds like he is in a good place right now and that you and your family are handling this the best way you can.

As for football, here is a clip I made showing a NFL player testing their bg on the sideline. There is also some nice commentary from John Madden (yeah, the clip is getting a little old) talking about what a good role model he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHEZJUbeBqY

2. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

What I described previously were my phases. My wife would probably describe it differently and my son as well. Post dx he was a champ and remains so today. Lots of what we are dealing with today are normal kid-growing-up. The D-related stuff can just add an edge to it because the stakes are a bit higher. Anyway, glad you guys are doing so well out of the gate.

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

Well, I think my phases are different! :)

I've been feeling pretty strange, lately. Very happy because things have gotten off to such a great start. Proud of my son for handling it so well. But also a lot of guilt for not being upset enough and taking it too lightly. There's a fair amount of cognitive and emotional dissonance between people telling us what a terrible pickle we're in and us feeling pretty good about things and optimistic about the future. I almost feel ashamed for not being depressed.

I do understand that we've only completed the first 100ft of a Marathon race, so we shouldn't be too cocky. But I can't bring myself to worry about all the crap that could possibly happen. For now, we're just happily living our life like nothing happened, with some added dietary restrictions and finger pricks. But this is in such a stark contrast to all the horror stories I keep hearing.

I probably don't make sense at all. Maybe I should just finish up work for today, go home and have a beer and not overthink this? Or maybe it's just part of the process to have a lot of contradicting emotions swirling around? Either way, I think I've deserved a beer! :)

4. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Welcome!

His teacher having a T1D kid is going to be OMG one of the biggest blessings! Its so hard to leave them with others, especially when its so new, and things are so up and down, and you are still learning yourself! To drop him off at school, and know someone has 'got it' - amazing!!!

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Its great that you roll with the changes. t1d is different for each family, for each child. So just go with it!

Just a couple of words of caution
    1) T1D is the disease of the mundane. Forgetting to do a small thing can sometimes have pretty significant consequences. So for example making the mistake of switching the Lantus pen with the Humalog/Novalog pen. Miscounting carbs due to a math error. Injecting the wrong amount of insulin because you didnt divide correctly. So attention to detail is really important.
    2) tiny drops of insulin make big differences, up or down
    3) There are things that have to be on your "pay really close attention" list now. For example a stomach virus can send your kid into a spiral if you are not watching/careful.

T1d adds a certain amount of danger/risk to your childs life. Its all manageable, but you have to respect that reality.

I think its great though that you can concentrate on learning all the things you need to learn without the typical emotions associated with a diagnosis. Just dont get too carried away with the taking it lightly part. Mr T1d can be very unforgiving.

6. njswede

njswede Approved members

Yeah, stomach bugs seem really frightening. Not looking forward to that! :(

7. njswede

njswede Approved members

We just had the traditional Valentine's Day cheese fondue. This year I had to count and replace all the pieces of bread he dropped in the pot. The cheese itself is (virtually) carb free, though...

8. njswede

njswede Approved members

Wow! It's been a month since DX. Only a month! Feels like over a year, probably because we've been to more Dr. appointments than we'd normally to for the whole family in a year.

Anyway, things are still good. I've learned about worries I didn't know existed, but also of joys I didn't know existed. Like the joy at the end of a day with perfect numbers without any corrections for lows or highs. We had one yesterday. I think it may have been the first or second without a single correction.

9. njswede

njswede Approved members

We were eating out for the first time. Everyone survived. He landed on a 75 two hours after the meal, so I probably went a little high on the bolus, but it's within reasonable limits at least!

20150301_122240_resized.jpg

10. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

He's adorable ! Glad it went well!

11. njswede

njswede Approved members

And now... For his first illness: Adenovirus. I had it too and I thought it was the flu. Knocked me out pretty good! Not too bad in his case, but his sugars are definitely a lot higher than normal. This morning, we briefly saw our first ever 300+. So we increased the measuring and we're correcting pretty much all the time. He's been in the 120-180 range for the most part of the day. It definitely takes a lot more work to keep him in range when he's sick!

We've made the adjustments without having to talk to the endo. I wouldn't have been able to do that without you guys! Thanks!

12. BarbDwyer

oh No! Hope he feels better soon. Luke still hasn't gotten sick and I'm feeling so lucky. His germ-a-phobe ways that I used to kind of complain about are working to his benefit now.

Did you remember to check for ketones? We check anytime he is over 300 (he hasn't had any so far) and they really drilled it into us to check for them if he gets sick.

13. njswede

njswede Approved members

Yeah, we check for ketones whenever he's anywhere near the 300s. I usually check if I see mid 200s or above. He hasn't had even a hint of ketones in his urine so far.

Our little guy is a fighter. This virus knocked me out for almost two weeks, my wife for a week and his twin sister is still suffering from it. But little DS shrugged it off in a couple of days. BG is back to almost normal now. I'm basically just rounding up instead of rounding down on his meal boluses and he's been running a steady 100-130 the last 24 hours.

Endo visit on Thurday. We probably screwed up his A1C now. I'm kind of running a little contest with myself on the A1C. :)

14. BarbDwyer

LOL I think it takes more than that to screw up an A1C.

I'm glad he's doing so well. I didn't realize he was a twin. I have twins too. Fun times!

15. njswede

njswede Approved members

...aaaand here's our first stomach bug since dx. Fun, fun... Good numbers so far, though. Planning to test every 2-3 hours overnight to keep them good! Wish us luck!

16. njswede

njswede Approved members

Jees, that went south fast. At the ER now. Can't keep fluids and high ketones. BG 300 and not responding to his normal insulin dose. Not fun.

17. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

hope he is on the mend and getting the help that is needed, glad you went to the ER for much needed fluids etc.

18. njswede

njswede Approved members

We're back home and he's doing OK. The ER staff said I brought him in just in time before the ketosis turned into ketoacidosis. Apparently my gut feeling was right that large ketones and inability to take any oral fluids for 6 hours was something I should worry about.

Zofran and IV fluids did the trick and he came down from 280 to 158 in two hours just by adding fluids. He's resting comfortably now.

Let's just say I understand better what you meant by "stomach bugs can spiral out of control" now. I'm happy I caught it in time. Now I just need to catch up with a whole night's sleep...

19. BarbDwyer

Wow. Way to catch it in the nick of time. Hope it is all over soon.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You wouldn't think a newly dxd kid on lantus could could be headed into DKA after 6 hours. Follow up with your regular endo for sick day guidelines, they will come in handy next time.