- advertisement -

So happy, I could cry (and I did!)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by goochgirl, Jan 21, 2012.

1. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Many of you are familiar with my 4 year struggle to finish renovating our old house so that I could finally have a sewing room. Once the basement was finished, I actually got to spend 3 hours sewing (an obligation) before I had to pack it up, as DH said "we're moving home!" as the final boxes of fabric were being unpacked. It was not unwelcome news, to say the least. I was going to miss my big beautiful space, though. So it has taken us several months to get settled in our new house. Not only to get the kids settled in their new schools, but all of the unpacking here as well. DH was working 5 hours away,until last week, so we only saw him on occasional weekends. I've been, essentially a single parent, trying to deal with everything.

Our new house... has a room.. just for me :) Compared to the basement, it's tiny, but the temperature is much more pleasant! I lucked out on Craigslist and at Habitat Restore to get cabinets for my sewing machine and for my desk. I even managed to get a big slab of silestone for my desk. I had a very small budget for this room, so I didn't think I was ever going to get anything. Restore had their cabinets 1/2 price!! I salvaged shelves from DH old office, and I turned other cabinets into long shelves for the closet. Out of my shoestring budget, I somehow created a haven I don't think I could have made if it was unlimited!!! I'm finished, unpacked, and ready to let the Pump Pouch Fairy out of her cage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to do with myself first. I can actually be creative, again!! Before I play, however, I promised a pouch donation to help pay for a Pawsibilities DAD.(5 pouches, $50, first PM gets it) So, Monday, when the kids are in school, I'll get to start making pouches again! Woo hoo. (sniff sniff, tear drop... who'm I kidding... them tears are spewing like sprinklers!!)

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Having a place to call your own that you have put your heart and energy into to customize just for YOU and your work/hobbies is a very BIG deal. I'll bet it will make you very happy and satisfied.:)

I wish I had a workshop. Like a wood shop or maybe a machinist shop (I am a machinist). Oh, the things I could do! If I had the time. Honestly I look forward to retirement someday just for that. Just to have my very OWN workshop.:)

3. lynn

lynn Approved members

May the fairy spread her wings and fly!!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yay! Enjoy! Share pics when you have time.

5. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

This makes me very happy!

6. MelStan

MelStan Member

I'm so pleased to hear you've done this too! :) I think it's so important to make your passions in life a priority. Life is too short not to.

I have an old stripped out caravan that I use as an art studio, and it's my 'happy place'.
    I hope you get to spend MANY productive hours in your haven! :D

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

has anybody pmed you yet?

I will clear mine out.

8. goochgirl

Thank you for your nice replies. I've been waiting for this for a long time. Its about time that I am able to make something I can be proud of. Laundry and dishes just doesn't give me a strong sence of satisfaction.... or even a weak one. Let's just face it, House Elf was a poor career choice.
    Mel, I think if I had an old caravan, I'd either try to renovate it (and run away) or turn it into a chicken coop!
    mmgirls, I have not had anyone claim the pouches, yet. They are yours if you want them. Send me a PM.

9. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am so happy for you. I think we all need a space we can call our own. I know you will make good use of your new space and that it will mean so much because you created it yourself.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Glad you've got yourself a room of one's own ;)

We just redid our kitchen and used a lot os salvaged and reclaimed material. I can't imagine that it would be any more fun if one had an unlimited budget,? Isn't "making it work" half the fun?:cwds:

11. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Gooch, you have been waiting for such a long time for this. Youve always put everyone elses needs first and I know youll continue to do that. Now you have a little piece of paradise to call your own. May all your hours spent there be sunny and full of happiness:cwds:

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Becky! That's perfect!:D

14. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

LONG LIVE THE PUMP POUCH FAIRY!!!! We have missed her greatly!

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Oh, Becky, thats perfect. :)

Kaylee's favorite pouch is from the Pump pouch fairy! :cwds:

16. MelStan

MelStan Member

LOL Goochgirl..my caravan has no wheels, or I may have done the same, and our chickens DO think it's a coop ;)

17. goochgirl

Freakin' hillarious! I may, now, be a bit closer to yours! I've never been a drinker. If I've gone through a 6 pack in a year, chances are, 4 were used on my hair, and it would have been considered a wet year for me. Well, we were visiting my parents, and their spare fridge was full of Mexican beer that was a gift to my father. He wasn't drinking it, and it was taking up too much room, so he gave it to my husband to take home (also not a drinker). So, now this stuff is taking up room in MY spare fridge. DH was out of town for work, and the kids were really stressing me out. I drank a beer just to see if it would help me sleep. I tried it again a few nights later, and Yo, who knows I don't drink adult drinks, says,"Mommy why are you drinking x diamond x"? (dos equis) "Because, dear, it works better than one x"! So, I've had my quota for the year, and its not February, yet. :)

18. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

So happy for you. I don't know what I would have done all these years without my own space to sew.

19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby got a sewing machine for Christmas, too bad I didn't live near you or SisterBeth, I'd be hiring you for lessons! Poor kid, I can't find lessons (for kids adult lessons are a plenty, but during the day)anywhere around here, I can't sew to save my life and mom lives 3 hours away. I may have to take the lessons myself just to teach her!

20. goochgirl

you can learn so many sewing techniques on Youtube! The best book is the Readers Digest encyclopedia of sewing techniques. Just start with a pattern and cheap fabric (since the first few things will not turn out well). The best way to learn is just to do it. Also, she should ask any questions on www.sewforum.com an amazing online community of sewers!!