- advertisement -

So frustrated right now

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Nov 10, 2010.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Told cassidy to come down and get her lantus, only to find her mouth full of candy and she never told anyone how much or got insulin for it. I was so mad I forgot to give the darn lantus and now she is sitting at 396 and saying her tummy hurts. How many gosh darn times do I have to tell her that I dont care if she has it as long as she asks first. Not to mention I have been trying to adjust things since I have seen her numbers creeping higher and higher the last 2 weeks.

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Maybe it's a 10-year-old girl thing . . . things like that are happening here, too, but with the snacks I send to school for her lows, even with glucose tablets. Is it a little bit of pre-teen rebellion?

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My 14 year old does the same, with the glucose tabs... they have sour apple ones now... his friends wanted to try them so he had some too:eek:

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven went through a stage when he was doing that. I would test him in the afternoon and he's be in the 400s:rolleyes: We had a long talk about it and I told him I understood if he had a craving for candy as I get those too. We brainstormed how to deal with it without him eating lots of candy every day. I dont want either of my kids eating alot of candy or sweets everyday. Has nothing to do with the diabetes, its just not good for anyone. What we came up with is that I would get a bag of peanut M&Ms (They are low glycemic and only have less then 1 carb a piece). He could come to me once or twice a day and let me know he was craving sweets and I could give him 4 or 5 without needing to give insulin. We also have candy day here on Fridays where both boys get to pick out a couple of small pieces of candy. I just figure it in with Steven's suppertime carb count.

I personally treat this as I would if my other, non-d son were taking candy without asking. It doesnt have anything to do with Steven having diabetes. It does have to do with him following rules that have been set down for both of my boys. I dont ever want him to think that he cant have candy whenever he wants because he has diabetes.

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We went through this stage last year and are going through it again as we speak.. It is definately frustrating.. I am trying to keep the things that I know he will more then likely try to sneak out of reach or out of sight out of mind..

I know it will eventually pass but very frustrating dealing with numbers while it is going on..

6. mandif3

mandif3 Approved members

It has to be the age! My son is 10 and was diagnosed on 2/9/10. A few weeks ago he snuck a cookie, why I'll never know, I always tell him just ASK first. He lied and his sugar was almost 300 because he didn't even bolus for it!!!:mad: Eventually he told me that he did eat it, which of course was obvious! After that whole fiasco he snuck candy a few days later uncovered again! My 4 year old told on him and he was high again! All you can do really is continue to reinforce good diabetes management and support them in making the right decisions. I have explained some of the consequences of poor care to my son, not to scare him but to reassure him that if he takes good care of himself he will not have to worry about some of the consequences of diabetes.