- advertisement -

So far, so good with the Opsite tape.

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Jacob'sDad, May 1, 2011.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob breaks out badly from the Dex sites. I have tried a Tough Pad under the site with various dressings over the top. They don't hold. Once the site starts to get a little loose, he gets a rash. I'm hoping that if the site stays really stuck, he won't break out.

God, I hope this works. I think it is the last chance. The worst part is that the receiver showed ???. I gave it time to recover but it didn't. I did a restart. It still read ???. I did another restart. It started reading but read way high and took many calibrations to get a good read. It's reading good now.

2. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I hope it works for you too! Fingers crossed.

Do you cover the actual transmsitter with the Opsite? I'm asking because another Dex user taught us to cut a hole in our tegaderm/opsite where the transmitter sits. I've always done that and we rarely get the ???. Sometimes we will get it right before the sensor dies (on day 8 or 9), kind of like a warning. It could just be a coincidence, but thought I'd mention it.

3. Jacob'sDad

I cut a hole. I don't know what the deal was, I'm just glad it worked itself out.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Gotcha. I probably jinxed myself by saying we rarely get the ???.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

How is the opsite holding up and no signs of rash I hope?

William has trouble with the Nav sensor tape and we use opsite under it (with a hole cut for the sensor wire to go in). That has worked for him without too many issues.

I still think William gets more reactive in the spring with the pollen/outdoor allergens around. He used to get terrible eczema but that has subsided somewhat - thankfully. Does Jacob have allergies to outdoor pollens or food or does he have asthma? Just curious as William has severe allergies to both - with anaphylactic food allergies and asthma. He hasn't reacted as severely to the tape as some kids though.

6. Jacob'sDad

Jacob doesn't have any other allergies that I know of. Yesterday he was complaining of itching, but it must have passed because he is still wearing the site. I'm afraid it looked like it was starting to get red under the Opsite tape, towards the edge of the Tough Pad.

I'm glad you mentioned William using Opsite under his site, because that gives us one more option to try. I was thinking we were done with Dexcom if he breaks out this time. I was thinking that would prove it is the probe causing the reaction. But it could be the Tough Pad adhesive.

I lost track of what day we are on. Five, I think.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Isn't it Carol's kids who have had issues with the Dex tape also? It just amazes me that the skin could still react through the tough pad. I hope this will work.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, my younger son has Dex issues. Not sure if was the tape or allergic to the sensor itself because I removed all Dex tape and he still had issues. My older son has no problems with the Dexcom. Younger son wears Minimed CGM with no skin problems at all.

9. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Is opsite still working? Both my girls were allergic to the Dex adhesive, so we had to switch to MM. We tried flexifix, IV300, tegaderm, etc under the sensor and even trying to take the adhesive off the sensor but both girls still broke out, and it was always thru the barrier adhesive and in the perfect circle of the Dex sensor. It was crazy!

10. Jacob'sDad

His skin broke out but it wasn't as bad. The site lasted six days. He has been on a CGM break since then. It started to itch the night before it was removed. The next day at school he had had enough. The nurse called and asked it if was OK for him to remove the site. I told her it was OK. When Jacob got home I asked him if he had trouble removing the Opsite tape. It had started curling at the edges the day before. He said it was easy to remove the site and he used no remover to loosen it up.

I thought Opsite had a reputation for being difficult to remove, but that was not the case for him.

So unless someone has any other suggestions, I think we are down to our last resort and that is to try Opsite UNDER the Dex site. The last site had a Tough Pad under the site with Opsite over the top. It's slightly possible that he breaks out from the Tough Pad adhesive. It's pretty hard to believe that the Dex adhesive can get through a Tough Pad.

His skin was broken out in the shape of the Dex site, but the Tough pad was trimmed to that shape as well. His skin was not broken out where the Opsite made contact, so that's good.

I will update when he gets back on the Dex. I will start a new sensor tomorrow.

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I really hope this works for you. Put the opsite with a hole right on the skin and the dex ontop of that. It's the flexifix right? I use 2 layers over dd's sensor (MM) so if you find it works but not perfect, use two layers right on the skin, with a hole and pop the dex on top. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

12. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I hope it works for you. I was so sad to leave Dex, although I love MM now. But my poor girls' skin went through a lot before we switched them over.

13. Jacob'sDad

Thanks for the info Denise.:)

So Opsite (yes, flexifix) is too thick or tough to just insert the sensor probe right through it without a hole?

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I think it is too thick to insert through it. I would use a hole punch to put the hole in it.

15. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I always punched a hole in it before putting the sensor through.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We put Opsite down before we insert the sensor, and we cut a hole in it first. I think the MM needle would go through it, but I'm worried about it affecting the sensor, since they're so sensitive.

17. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Yeah, I don't think it's too thick at all, but I'd be worried about affecting the sensor. Like how you aren't supposed to use a barrier wipe. Then again, it doesn't have any chemicals on it and it goes through the skin. . .still I'd rather punch a tiny hole with a hole puncher before taking the backing off. You could try it though.

And you could always experiment on yourself to see if you get good readings before doing it on your kid.