- advertisement -

So excited

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmandaF, Aug 16, 2013.

1. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

So my DS is at D-camp and we get to pick him up Saturday :D I CAN NOT WAIT!!!! I am so proud of him..... He got DX'ed July 15th..... our endo pulled a few strings and got him into camp!!!!! I thought she was crazy when she brought it up about 20 minutes after she told us he was T1D. I was like are you kidding me? She thought that it was the most perfect timing for him, to learn from the beginning that he is NOT ALONE.

I kept telling DH she is crazy, I am NOT sending him, how can I send him when I haven't even been able to be give him 2 good injections in a row!!!!

Well, needless to say DH and DS won the battle, so last Saturday we took the 3 hour car ride and dropped him off. For over a week all I heard was Jake telling us that he was going to come home from camp and give him self injections.....:eek: Well by golly wouldn't you know that he has!!!!! Our Endo is one of the on staff Dr's this week and was walking by and snapped this pic for us!!!!

It amazes me how strong a kid can be.... He is 8, has never been away from home (well never away where he knew NO ONE and couldn't call his Mommy.. lol) and has had D for 4 weeks!!!!!

It appears that I have spent the week with a knot in my gut, not sleeping, worried sick for nothing :rolleyes: Guess next year I will spend the week at the beach with a pool boy and margarita.... :D;)

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Really happy for you and for him! What a cutie! :)

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That's fantastic!

My daughter was diagnosed earlier this year and she chose not to go to camp. She just didn't want to be away for a week, the concept was so rushed (or so we thought - ours was a few months, yours was only a few weeks!) it was just too much for her.

We'd never talked about overnight camp before. I never went to overnight camp as a kid and my husband went a couple times, and he liked it, but he wasn't one of those former campers who rave and rave and rave about overnight camp.

I'd be thrilled if she went next year, but I don't feel so strongly about it that I will push her into going if she has real reservations.

4. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

I was not at all thrilled with the idea at first!!!!!! Trust me, I thought they were all crazy.... LOL DS wanted to go so bad. I may have shed more tears about camp then I did at DX lol. DH and I may or may not have had a few words over it too ;) In the end it worked out and I am glad he went, but trust me if I would have been the sole decision maker he would be sitting here instead of 3 hours away:D

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'm so glad he's had a wonderful time!

6. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

I'm almost as excited as you are. What a story and what a picture! Not only will your son never be held back by diabetes, but you'll never hold him back (which I am guilty of for my daughter). Congratulations.

7. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

The one on the right? Yes! ;):D

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Haha! :D:D:D

9. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Oh Amanda, I am tearing up so proud of your boy and of you!

10. AmandaF

AmandaF Approved members

HAHAHAHA.... Well, I wasn't going to admit too how cute I thought he was :D

Camp was a huge success... I am blown away!!! What started as a very crappy summer for my son turned out to be, in his words "the best summer ever". After we picked him up and we watched him give himself an injection, the tears started flowing, finally tears of Joy after so many tears of sadness!!!!!!

He also learned so much about pumping. He was begging for one after only a week of being DX, now his Dr. better watch out when we go for a follow up next week... HAHAHAHA. He did tell me that a kid in his cabin told him that the pumps cost like $50 bucks and he knows that is a lot of money but he thinks it will be worth the cost... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Gotta love kids!!!!