- advertisement -

So any real reason to switch from Animas to another company?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Apr 5, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

We've been very happy with it and I am anxiously looking forward to getting the Ping and the remote option when the warranty is up in three months. Correcting at night now is a huge pain for me. So I have no real interest in switching to another company, but I'd hate to not look into it at all. But honestly I can't think of any reason to switch. I know Minimed has the whole integrated CGMS but Lia wore the I-pro for a few days and *hated* how the sensor felt. I've heard the Dexcom is more comfortable so we're going to try that. No tubing doesn't really interest us so no interest in the Omnipod. And are there really any other realistic options here in the U.S. in the near future? Anything I should look into? If the Cozmo was still an option I would seriously consider it, but it's not.

2. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

We've pumped with Animas since day 1 and the only reason we'd probably look at another brand at this point is the fact that I don't like having to arrow up to enter the bolus amount after it tells me how much to give. I'd rather just hit "OK" and go. Max is starting to bolus himself and it leaves too much room for error. With others, you just OK the suggested amount but have the option to change it if you want. Otherwise, Animas has been great for us for 5 years now.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

If you love Animas, I'd go that route. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of new things on the horizon anytime soon. Smaller pods...but again who knows how long it will take.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I do not think there's anything new coming soon. If you really like the idea of a remote, I'd probably check out the Pod too. It has a full-featured remote, whereas you can only bolus from the Ping.

5. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

We started pumping with the ping so don't have experience with another pump. I know the dialing up to the bolus bothers people....since it's the only way we have ever done I guess it doesn't bother me. The remote is a great feature and unless something new and wonderful we will stick with the ping.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Unless you need a 300u cartridge, then it sounds like the "Ping" is the best option for your dd ;)

7. mocha

mocha Approved members

The only reason I see to switch pump companies is if you feel that there is a pump will work better for your dd and your family. If you feel that the ping is the pump that will help you manage d the best, then go with that.

8. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thanks for the input. While scrolling to bolus is a bit annoying, I don't feel it's enough to switch. I hadn't thought about the remote only being able to bolus. That's pretty much all I want it for though so I think we're good with that.

Kind of disheartening though to realize that there really isn't much difference in what's available now and what was four years ago.

9. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We had the cozmo and then switched to the ping because the minimed at the time offered nothing over any of the other pumps. When the revel came out it took about 90% of cozmo's features (cozmo really was a pump ahead of it's time), which in our opinion was a benefit to Sam. It has more custom reminders than the animas and Sam needs this due to his attention deficit. The smaller incriments are nice but not really needed for a 9 yr old, he survived on the animas without 0.025 bolus so that really was not a plus point for us. I LOVE that the meter beams to the pump, this is a plus with a forgetful child. Anyway, for us it was the extra reminders that the revel offered. I am sure you are going to love the ping, good luck with your decision.

10. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

There is enough to dislike with diabetes care. So if something works for you that is groovey.

Soon in the pump world is measured in years and then add another year. Animas and Dexcom have been a year way for two years. The FDA has tightened up everything to do with an insulin pump an innovation will not happen fast. I think that it is a little overboard. Pumps that turn off basal when a hypo is sensed are in the market in Europe. Dex/Animas may make it there this year. So if you like what you got great innovation is slow on this side of the pond.

11. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

M dr. told me (so this is from him, not my experience) that the data from MM is so much better...it saves a lot more info, so he can see exactly what's going on when he downloads it. I can also download it to the website so he can have access to it really easily. He said, "minimeds really are the best pump out there" and added that he has no connection with MM or other ulterior motive for recommending it. :) So, that's one person's opinion. Maybe someone else here can comment on this further.

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

The only reason I switched away from Animas is the cartridges don't hold enough insulin.

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You should consider that your dd might need a lot more insulin the next years as she enters puberty and is still locked into the same pump for 4 years.

Other than that, I'd stay where you are.

14. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I would really like to switch Hanna to medtronic because i want her to have the 300u cartridge and the intergrated CGM. Hanna however loves her ping and says she never wants to switch. Because I'm not the one wearing it, I don't get to chose. I am going to try and convince her to at least trial the medtronic so she can understand the difference.

15. Cassidi's mom

Cassidi's mom Approved members

It's nice to hear good things about the PIng. We have never pumped and we just turned in the paperwork for a Ping and the medtronic rep keeps trying to get us to change our mind, so it makes me second guess our decision, which I hate!!! I know my daughter will not wear the CGM with the medtronic, she had a trial of it for a week and hated it. She has sensory issues so we are thinking Ping for the remote so she can try to "forget" she is wearing the pump. So hard to decide! Did get the fake omnipod and she said it was too heavy, but besides integrated CGM and remote with PINg, is there that much of a difference that I should be worrying about??

16. hawkeyegirl

Nah. There's not a lot of difference besides those two things. Mostly just how the menus are set up, but when it comes to function, they're virtually identical.

17. L101418

L101418 Approved members

We just finished trialing the Medtronic and Animas. The Animas was second and we only got out to the parking garage and both girls said they choose the Medtronic. Uh...we are all plugged in so let's give a couple days. They chose the Medtronic in the end because the user interface was more friendly to them. I agreed, and I liked the summary page better, that you didn't have to scroll in the dose, and liked we could upload data for the doc to get. I also thought the Animas had slow scrolling response (took my finger off the button to stop the scroll but it would continue for a little). So I guess that adds up to only UI preferences.

18. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

If you're happy with the Animas, why change?
    Jesse wears a dexcom now .. had a navigator... it died..
    He tried the MM but the needle on the sensor was painful...
    MM has a new sensor, but who knows when it will be available...

19. KellyMama

KellyMama Approved members

What additional features does the Pod have on the remote that make it "full-featured"? (Not meaning to sound snarky, just curious! :) ) The Ping remote can bolus, test blood sugar (although we choose not to because we don't like One Touch meters LOL) and find carb counts (altho' I think we've used that feature once).

I just came from a Pod demo tonight and have even less desire to look further into it. That pod itself just seems way too big for our limited real-estate. However, I know some people just prefer tubeless. Tubing isn't an issue here, so for us there is no reason to consider changing. I don't like that you can't bolus if you misplace the remote/PDM. Makes me very nervous. I don't like that it can give you the beeeeeep of death (LOL) and then you have to hit it with a hammer to shut it up. :eek: That would only have to happen to Hanna once in school before she ripped it off her arm and never put it back on. ;)

We are die-hard Ping fans though so not exactly unbiased! LOL I know lots of Medtronic users that feel the same way about the features on their pumps. I haven't found a reason to switch yet and we have one more year I think but will likely go the same route again.

20. hawkeyegirl

You can review basals, set temp basals, adjust basals, adjust all other settings, review insulin left in the reservoir, view IOB, view bolus history, and probably things I'm not even thinking of....everything you can do on our tubed pumps, you can do on the Pod remote. It also has a Freestyle meter, which, in my opinion, is worlds better than One Touch meters. (MM's linked meter is a One Touch too, and we don't use it either. ;))