- advertisement -

So annoyed!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Austins mom, May 7, 2014.

1. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

I was at the grocery store last night and a woman saw my 8 yr old son giving himself insulin (pump) for a snack he had in his hand. She looked at me and said type 1 diabetes?? I answered yes. She then starts to cry and told me how sorry she was and that she felt so sorry for him and that he was going to have a hard life, then proceeded to tell him to watch out that his feet don't rot, he can die early etc... I looked at him and he was starting to tear up.....Needless to say I excused us from the line and went to a different checkout :(

The bad part is that my son knows what a hard disease this is and he has his struggles, I was really angry that she did that to him right in the middle of the grocery store. He knows this is a lifelong disease and that he has to take care of himself. No secrets what diabetes can do to you... Its all to real but to have to answer questions from an 8 yr old "am I gonna die soon mommy" I spent the rest of the night holding him close and him crying.

People just don't think when they speak. And my poor son has to pay for her bad manners!

OK, there... Im done but still very angry!~

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oh, geez. People are nuts, aren't they? I'm sorry you had to go through that.

My son has never asked me if diabetes could kill him, but his little sister has. I told her that if Jack didn't take insulin he would die. Just like if we didn't drink water, we would die, and like if we didn't eat food we would die. We would always make sure that Jack had insulin just like we always make sure they have food and water, so no. We would make sure diabetes wouldn't kill him.

Was that an oversimplification? Yes. But it's all they need to know when they're young. I think, to the extent you can, the best approach is to look at your son after an incident like that and say, "Boy, THAT woman didn't know what SHE was talking about, did she? How crazy was THAT?"

3. Austins mom

that's the conversation we had this morning when he wasn't so upset! I totally agree about the food and water thing, I will explain it to him like that when I get home from work!!!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If you don't mind, I might just have to steal this explanation from you. I like it very much!

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Some people are clueless. Never hesitate to cut them off as soon as they start into their dramatic spiel, and don't hesitate to be rude about it if needed.

You can tell your son that if he "listens to" his diabetes by managing it as best he can, eating well, exercising regularly, and avoiding drugs, cigarettes and excesses of alcohol then he will live better and longer than most of his peers. :cwds:

6. libbymom

libbymom Approved members

I'm sorry you and your son had to hear that. Some people are just clueless when it comes to others' feelings.

My son (almost 9) thinks he is healthier and will live longer than his peers because he really tries to take care of himself - eating right, exercising, etc. I certainly don't tell him differently, and love his attitude!

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Hello all, this is my first post. Austins mom, so sorry you had to go through that! Shame on her.

My son was just dx at age 6 and we have not yet told him about future complications. I love that food/water analogy and will use it! I also have a friend who is a primary care doctor and she said her T1D patients are the healthiest of all.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Wow! The crazy train definitely left the station with THAT one, lol! I am sure you were completely shocked when she started going off, but in the future should you ever encounter someone like this, stop them in their tracks by telling them they're totally wrong and don't know what they're talking about.

9. Austins mom

I was really surprised... Never again!!

10. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

My suspicion would be that she knew someone long ago who had those issues, before all the new technologies (even things like being able to check bg at home). I would tell my kid that she probably doesn't know how well we can manage D today.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I remember my son asking me about my grandmother that had diabetes who had gone blind. I explained to him that back then they didn't have meters to test and she gave herself 1 shot of insulin a day. Things have changed DRAMATICALLY since then and our kids will grow up without most, if not any, of the complications others previously had.