- advertisement -

Snow Play for Newbies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 4, 2012.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Since MN had a first snow today, it would be a good time to warn all the newbies that playing in the snow drops BGs faster than almost anything. I didn't know this our first winter, and my daughter hit a 40 within 20 minutes.:eek: Our CDE then told us to lower her Lantus on days that there will be lots of snow play. Talk to your D-team and test often!

2. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

How true this is! Would have been nice to know in the beginning.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

And it's not uncommon to tank up to two hours later. Check often for several hours after too.

4. jkjones37

jkjones37 Approved members

Is it due to the extra energy used to play in the snow or does the lower temperatures have something to do with it?

5. Beach bum

I think it's a combo of both. For example, if it's a 40 degree day and she's out playing or skiing in the snow, we don't see as drastic of a drop as say, 30-20 degrees.

6. GreenJenny

GreenJenny Approved members

seriously? A snow day in October?!? Yuck!!!:(

7. Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Approved members

Wow, good to know. I'd have never made the connection on my own.

Of course we haven't had any lows yet and we don't get much snow... I'm sure the first one is coming though.

8. Beach bum

We had 2 feet of snow last Oct. 30th, Halloween had to be rescheduled!

9. MomofSweetOne

Another word of caution is that our CGM (Medtronic) cannot keep up with snow play because of its lag. We've seen a 150 on the CGM when the actual BG was in the low 70s.

Last winter we found that my daughter needed 10g every two times up the tubing hill along with a lower temp basal.

10. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Hot chocolate with marshmellows help:D with the tanking!

11. Beach bum

She still tanked! We learned now to throw in a few extra marshmallows and not correct for those.

12. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

ooops I should have said UNcovered hot chocolate and marshmallows!!! Sorry!:eek:

13. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Thanks for the tip! How does it compare to swimming? Swimming tanks DD, but we haven't gone through a winter with D to know how she'll react.

14. MomofSweetOne

Faster here. The top three BG droppers, though, tend to be 1) snow, 2) swimming, 3) bounce houses/trampolines.

15. MomofSweetOne

Bumped for the newbies since I'm watching snow fall....

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have discovered that if I keep her overdressed for snow play, IE she is hot and never getts the "body shivers" she will not plummet on me. If she gets cold enough to shiver then she can drop so fast to the 40-50' it is scary and she does not seem to absorb carbs as quickly when that cold.

we do hot coco and when she was littler we would do hersey kisses while outside, because it was easy.

17. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

What works for us if she's at a good number going out, is a 12 carb sugar cookie. I learned this from having Christmas cookies on hand during snow storms. Perfect excuse to use them :)

One new thing I learned this year is that I couldn't put the G4 outside, like on a porch railing to pick up BG readings. If it's too cold it won't work, so she has to wear it or I have to stand outside with it in my pocket to keep it warm. Can you tell I wanted to stay warm inside and be able to see her BG? Yeah, asking too much.

18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Ye, because their bodies are using energy to both play, AND to keep warm :)

19. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

Hmm. Here in North-east OK, we had a BIG snow storm here in February of 2011,
    my neighbor/"little sis" was out of school for 2 weeks. It was that bad. We had the first big snow fall (about 20 inches i think) on Feb 1, 2011, and temps where barely over 25, so all the snow, combined with the black ice on the roads, made driving around a "only if you absolutely have too" and we got the 2nd snow fall on the night of Feb 7, 2011. same temps, twice the snow. Pretty much no one left their homes. Me & Rainn (neighbor/"little sis") where outside in the snow A LOT (playing in it, shoveling a path to get to & from each others apartments) and my BS never went low. maybe I was just lucky.

20. Beach bum

Can you put it in an insulated cooler with a warm pack? Wrap in in a towel and then place it in between warm packs.

For those new to snow play, be aware that while your child may not drop while outside playing, it's not uncommon to see a dip 2,3, 4 hours later. This happens to us more often than not.