- advertisement -

Sniffing insulin may help ease Alzheimer's

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by susan, Jul 17, 2010.

1. susan

susan Approved members

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38276008/?gt1=43001

HONOLULU ? Squirting insulin up the noses of patients with early forms of Alzheimer's disease showed signs of improving their memory, U.S. researchers said.

Patients who got the treatment for four months showed improvements in tests of memory recall that lasted for two months.

"We believe our results are very promising and they warrant future trials," said Dr. Suzanne Craft of the VA Puget Sound Health Care System and the University of Washington in Seattle, who presented her findings Wednesday at a meeting of the Alzheimer's Association in Honolulu.

Alzheimer's disease is a fatal and incurable deterioration of the brain that affects 26 million people globally. It is the most common form of dementia.

Several studies have suggested that people with Alzheimer's have reduced levels of insulin in the brain, even in the earliest stages. Insulin is important for communication between brain cells and is needed for brain function.

Craft's team wanted to see what would happen if they delivered insulin directly to the brain.

They studied 109 non-diabetic patients with Alzheimer's disease or a precursor condition called mild cognitive impairment.

A third of the patients got a placebo and the other two-thirds received different doses of insulin that had been loaded into a nebulizer and squirted up their nose twice daily for four months.

Patients who got the lower dose of insulin showed significant improvements on all primary measures of thinking and memory and in a test of their ability to do daily activities.

In 15 insulin-treated patients who agreed to a spinal tap, the team found a link between improved memory and improvements in measurements of key proteins linked with Alzheimer's disease.

Craft said the treatment is a long way from being useful to patients, but the findings are strong enough to be studied in a large clinical trial.

Current Alzheimer's drugs only treat symptoms, but so far no drugs have been shown to improve memory in patients with Alzheimer's.

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

It smells so nasty, that may just be worse than injecting it.

Very interesting.

3. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

It would be nice to find SOMETHING that actually helps Alzheimer's patients..my poor father has it, and the last 4 years have been so so sad. :(

4. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

My husbands grandmother has it and your right it is very sad:(

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

This is so interesting. Thanks for posting.

6. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

ever see things like this and just think how in the world did they come up with that idea...especially ones that actually work

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My Mum passed away in April after a very rapid onset of Alzheimer's. I'm more than happy to squirt some insulin if I think I'm ever getting that way!

8. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I thought that too.. like who thought that up??

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I wonder what kind of insulin they used.

10. timsma

timsma Approved members

Thanks for passing this on to everyone. My Mother has alzheimers so I'm going to let her (and my Dad) know about this. They are by a Mayo Clinic, in Rochester, MN so maybe they know about this already? I hope it can slow the progression at least! This is a very sad disease.