- advertisement -

sneaking treats

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Apr 12, 2010.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

checked cassidy before bed and was at 200 but had active insulin still so figured all would be well, since she had a snack an hour before. just checked her and she is well over 400 :(. went hunting and found an empty bag of trail mix, I am pretty darn sure she ate.:mad: looks like I am in for a long night. do any of you have any idea how I can keep her from sneaking treats I tried telling her that I dont care if she wants something as long as i can cover it she can have it. Seamed to be working for the most part. Do any of you have any idea what I can do to stop her from doing this? Last thing I want to do is have to lock up the cupboards.

2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

What "free" snacks does she like? Consider putting them just for her in the fridge, etc where she can help herself..and maybe putting the other snacks away for now...and tell her if she wants a non free snack to ask..and you can decide...etc.

3. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

we have the same problem with matt... Im at wits end. Worse, is he is on pump. Look at the carbs, and input them. Simple? not so much to my son. we need a tear out hair smilie for sure. :rolleyes:

I have free snacks on hand at all times... he doesnt like them. if your hungry, then a cheese stick isnt so awful is it? apparently it is...

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep thats been Steven lately. I have many free foods, at least 5 kinds of cheeses and cheese sticks, several types of deli meat, carrots and he'll go grab 5 hanfuls of pretzels:eek: without saying a word to me about it. If he had said "Mom Im really hungry" I could have made sure he got something to eat

I think what we need to do is have consequences. NOT just for taking food without letting us know or without asking but for the not listening and not following rules. The same way I'd have to discipline if one of the boys broke any other rule. This is a rule, Dont take food without telling me first. period, if you break that rule there will be a consequence. We arent talking 2 year olds that dont know how to follow rules yet. With very young children you sometimes do have to put locks on cupboards. I havent figured out what to take from Steven yet, Im thinking computer or Mythbusters if he keeps helping himself to food. I will do this with my non-d child also.

5. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Have you included her in the snack choosing process? My son goes with me to the grocery store to pick out his snacks for the week. He picks the ones he will have to bolus for and his free snacks. He also gets to pick out the flavor of juice boxes I buy, etc. When we get home, he helps write the carbs onto the containers (i.e. I buy the individual containers of applesauce for his lunch/snack sometimes or yogurt and it usually has the carbs on carton not on the individual portions). My son didn't like cheese sticks either but when he got to pick the ones from the store - he ate them!

I think by included him in the process, he knows what he is suppose to eat and is more aware of the carbs. It also helps with his "free" snack choices for the week.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  6. CassiesMama

I keep a slew of free snacks on hand, cheese galore and meats and meat snack sticks, veggies and ranch dressing. Even keep hard boiled eggs on hand also. i also get those low carb wraps that have a ton of dietary fiber in them so they are only 3 carbs each so she can have wrap sandwiches if she is dying for something bigger till dinner. The thing is I also keep some other snacks where they are free in the serving size but if she wants more then 1 serving its going to cost her a shot. Sometimes I think it would be easier to bang my head on a brick wall then to try to get through to her. :confused:

7. Seansmommy

Seansmommy Approved members

Sean has only been dx'd for a little over a year. We only had him sneak stuff 2 times that we know of. A family we met at last years walk gave us a tip that works for us. We have a snack basket. It has all his carb snacks marked and ready to go, lots of variety and you can just grab and go. There are also free carb snacks in the fridge. It has to be hard for them. I try really hard to remember that he is just a kid and if adults aren't perfect how can kids be. IMHO I would not want to make food into a battle ground. It is important to bolus for food. If it only happens once in a blue moon a reminder that hey this will have consequences on your bg is probably enough. If it becomes a habbit I agree with Becky. Punishment is in order. Like any other kid who chose to ignore the rules. When Sean did sneek food I did remind him that now he would go high and we would have to do a correction. Sean really feels awful when he goes high, and linking up the action with the consequence worked for him.
    Eating with out a bolus = high BG = feel awful.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Ironically, we went through this when Cameron was on the Omnipod - when it was as easy as pushing a button to bolus! Go figure! :rolleyes: For him, I think it was just a phase and I have no doubt we'll go through it again. I just keep reminding myself that he's only 11 and isn't perfect. Over. And over. And over again! ;)

9. CassiesMama

I think the biggest reason I am ticked is I upped her lantus dose cause her waking numbers before were in the 130s and I would like to have her between 100 and 120 waking. Thats also the goal they want her waking at for the trial net study she is in. And as typing this just caught her again trying to eat with out getting it counted. I dont want this to be a battle but the child just ate a half hour ago.

10. tresmom

tresmom Approved members

I'd venture to guess this is the number one problem parents face with managing diabetes in children. Here is what we are trying. This is a new approach for us so we'll see how it works. First off, I am trying to work ahead of the game. I set an alarm to remind me and I am serving a snack whether they want it or not (all of my kids not just my D kids) at 3pm. I am making it a nice filling snack - think mini meal - and covering this with insulin. I have also been keeping a log and jotting down our problem areas - what time of day I'm having the biggest time with sneaking. That time of day I am trying to be proactive if I notice a habitual sneaking pattern and have food ready before the sneaking happens.

Two, the second approach is that I am not buying any convenient foods. Now keep in mind I have 6 kids and part of the reason I am doing this is not just because of sneaking, but my food bill is getting out of hand because all of my kids are eating when they feel like it so I am not instilling this rule on any one person but the family as a whole.

I also went to the store and bought two small cheap plastic tool boxes with a place on them to add a small padlock. I took the drawers out of the tool boxes and placed one in my refrigerator and one in my cabinet and put locks on both. In those boxes I have the "sneakable" foods that they can have in moderation and at my discretion. I have locked them both up. The refrigerator has free foods that they can have as desired as well as the freezer. I know this may seem drastic, but that's what we are trying for now. We'll see how it goes.