- advertisement -

Sneaking Food

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susan0909, Nov 7, 2016.

1. susan0909

susan0909 Approved members

My 11 y/o has recently started sneaking food and not covering with insulin. He wears a CGM, so it doesn't take long until I realize why his graph looks like Mt Washington and confront him. I have told him repeatedly that if he wants to eat snacks that it is fine (within reason) but that he has to give himself insulin or ask me about dosing. His excuse is always "I forgot". We do not have weight issues- he's at the bottom of the curve for weight and height. We are 3 1/2 since diagnosis and in general he is pretty receptive to his care (wears pump, CGM, can calculate carb factors etc). But it is nearly impossible to try and establish a trend in his numbers and make adjustments when this happens on a almost daily basis. How common is this behavior and how have you approached it?

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We got to a point, when our daughter was about this age, the we did not allow, "I forgot" to be an excuse anymore. While once & while is not a big deal, correct & move on; if it is happening all the time, it is becoming a habit. We told her that taking insulin when you eat needs to be like wiping when you go to the bathroom. You don't forget, you just DO IT. If he needs to lose privileges or something important to him as consequence in order to learn this, then so be it.

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Agreed that something needs to be done. The natural consequences are that he is high and it hurts his body. Somehow I doubt the natural consequences will be effective. The logical consequences are that during the time that he is high he has to do what he can to bring his numbers down such as exercise and not eating more. As long as these activites are not punative that just is what it is. In general I think it's best to not punish diabetes issues. Perhaps you and he could think of some ways to celebrate his successes when he does diabetes self care to the best of his ability - like dosing for snacks.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

I used to simply make sure my daughter had insulin working when she came home from school, because she would always snack then - and sometimes forget to bolus. So if there is a "usual" time when he's eating and not covering carbs this might be one way to approach it.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We went through this, at probably about the same age. I just continued to remind him that blousing fir everything was so so important...I think I made the mistake of getting him "in trouble" for forgetting, which wasn't the best thing to do. Just keep reminding him in an "I care about you" way, not an "I'm mad at you" way, and notice when he does remember and praise him for it.

I can't tell you how many times I got the "I forgot" line. It was so frustrating! But don't let yourself lose your perspective. I think it's better to deal with some highs rather than make him think you are mad at him, or make him hate having diabetes. It's my goal now to NEVER get him in trouble for diabetes related things, especially high bg's.

You'll get through this! Hope this is helpful.