- advertisement -

Sneaking food

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by foxa71, Jun 7, 2010.

1. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Yesterday was the first time that my daughter snuck food. She was out playing with her friend in the yard. Her friend brought over some juice and dry cereal. Erin's BG jumped to 471! If she would have asked me, I would have gladly given her some insulin for it. I'm upset that she went behind my back like that. Tried to explain why she needs to communicate with me what she eats.

Have your children snuck food before?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Danielle has done this off and on. I think it is something that you need to handle calmly and rationally (even if you are freaking out inside). If she sees you blowing up or punishing her it could lead down a road that you don't want to go. Firmly reinforce the limits/expectations. Talk to her about why she did what she did. Realize that it may happen every once in a while. If it becomes a habit then you will need to step things up.

Life with diabetes is hard on us but harder on them. Sometimes they just want to not have to think about every little thing they put in their mouth. They just want to be normal like all their friends. At least that is the way that Danielle explained to me. Good luck.

3. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I use to sneak candy a lot. ;; I haven't recently, I discovered black berries taste a lot better (especially with sweetener on them), and don't affect my bg. However, she may just want to fit in and not have to let her friend think she has to do something in order to be able to eat.

4. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

Did the friend bring the treat over to share?

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm not sure at her age I would consider this "sneaking" food. Obviously at 6 she knows that she needs insulin for her food, but it was probably just a matter of her not wanting to stop playing to go ask to be bolused.

Jack has never snuck food, but if someone offered it to him and I didn't see, I could totally see him eating it and not really thinking about it. He's also 6, and lives in la-la land half the time.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wouldn't consider it a betrayal or going behind your back. She is young and wants to be like other kids. She had a chance to eat some fun food and went for it.

Tell her this will almost work, but she needs to come and tell you before she eats it.

7. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

We had some issues with this for a time and I wondered if it was a chicken-egg type of issue.

Before my daughter was diagnosed, she had an insatiable appetite. We would come home from lunch and she would ask from something to eat. I would say "no" and frankly assumed she was being difficult since she could not possibly be hungry. Well, she was hungry because her BG was through the roof and I did not know it. I find that my daughter gets very very hungry when her BG is high. Of course, if she sneaks food then the matter just gets worse. We have discussed this and I have had to make some kinds of food not easily accessible. Have you seen any pattern in your child's BG before she sneaks food?

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven does have issues with taking food without asking. He often says that he doesnt think about his diabetes, he is just hungry. I do understand that and I do believe that even with kids that have had diabetes for a long time may forget sometimes cause they are kids:cwds: I would just remind your daughter that its very important that she tell you before she has something to eat so you can give her insulin to make sure the energy from the food goes right where it belongs and not in her blood where it can make her feel yucky with stomach aches or headaches. I also explained to Steven that if his blood sugars were high and I didnt know why they were that I might start giving him more insulin thinking he needed it and then his blood sugars might go too low.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

At 6, I think she is to young to put thought into sneaking food when a friend brings it over...after all, tonight someone handed me a piece of cake, and even though I am on a diet, well, I ate it! I knew better, but I still ate some of it! And I am an adult!

I would just gently remind her that every time she eats, she needs insulin and to come see you about it! Also add that it is so she doesn't feel bad when she doesn't get her medicine for what she eats, like she did last time.

That way it isn't about food, it is about feeling healthy.

Good luck!