- advertisement -

Snacking

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

When a child likes to be a hobbit, that is, have a second breakfast, how does one handle the double spikes? Today, for example, my son wanted breakfast, two hours later a snack, then lunch, a later afternoon snack, then dinner (7pm), then a bedtime snack. He takes four hours to come back down to in range. So, if he has something to eat every two to three hours, we are lately not in range ever.

I think some of this is due to our new pump usage - it makes it so easy to just eat again. He loves it - says it is the closest he has felt thus far to not having this disease - but it is encouraging more snacking. With MDI, we didn't test again until eating again, and often didn't know we were out of range, I guess, but were in range at meals. Now with a G4 CGM, we see it, but he is also not back to range at mealtimes. Perhaps also some of this is due to just overall higher BG being new to pumping (I've heard of basal increases in other users?) And we have had a pod leak (see other thread).

But how do you handle frequent grazers? I am trying to encourage healthy snacks without making it a big issue. If he is hungry, I let him eat - I just want to understand can I keep him in range with frequent eating?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My strategy is to bolus for both the meal and a snack at the same time. That way, I have to snack in order not to crash, but neither the meal nor the snack raises my bg much if at all.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

If you are sure he will snack shortly after a meal, you might want to try bolusing for some or all of the carbs at the mealtime, either as a regular bolus or as an extended bolus. Depending on his system and his eating habits, it might work perfectly, or it might be a disaster. It's worth a try, though!

ETA: I was writing my post at the same time as TheFormerLantusFiend (!) was posting his. I guess great minds think alike!

4. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

Okay, thanks for the suggestion. I guess he'd like it if I told him he "had" to eat more.

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We have found that having higher basal rates set up throughout the day help to curb the spikes caused by frequent snacking/eating. With Isaac being so young at dx we knew snacking was a part of the whole toddlerhood so rather than force him into three big meals we just went with it. If he ends up not snacking or eating as much as normal we just set temp basals to try and keep him from dropping more than necessary. I am sure some may not feel it is the best answer, but honestly it is just what has worked with him and his frequent snacking/eating.

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

It looks like you have gotten a couple of great tips on bringing him back into range between meals. I bet there are others too. If, however, it turns out that you cannot bring him into range except by waiting four hours then by all means put your foot down and insist on no snacks with no guilt.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Those who have never had a growing boy to feed May not completely Understand the ramifications of not feeding them when they are hungry. No offense. It is not my intention to advise you to allow his bg to be high all the time...but I also understand how when they are hungry they can get cranky. Perhaps finding some low or no carb snacks is the solution, if you can play it in a way that he doesn't feel like he is being deprived because of diabetes. I am generally not a huge fan of "no wiggle room" parenting styles, although I realize it is necessary in some instances.

Good luck. I am interested by what changes people make when they start using cgm. We hope to get a cgm someday. I hope you will let us know if/when you find a solution.

8. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

A lot of times we include a snack in the carb count for lunch/ breakfast and then give the snack a little later. We started out doing this when she was on MDI in order to minimize shots, but like others say above, it does help a little to get her back in range more quickly- depending on the snack!

9. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm pretty sure we do this too - not intentionally or purposefully, but if my daughter does not eat for an unusually long period of time (for her), she drifts down on basal alone. It's worth it to me though, because the times she doesn't snack are so few and far between.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

Grazing can be handled by just having slightly higher basals. Mine doesn't graze every day, but if we're at a family party where I know it's going to happen, I just jack up the basal and let him have at it, just covering for food. It really seems to help.

If you know he's having one of those days, then that's what I'd suggest. People with toddlers do it all the time.

also, there's nothing wrong with second breakfast and elevnsies. ;)

11. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son is a frequent snacker. At school they have a morning and afternoon snack too. I would use higher basal rates if it is a constant problem. Sometimes if I know he will be snacking a lot (like at a party or something), I will keep a high temp. basal going for that time.