- advertisement -

Smoking

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mapoe4, Oct 5, 2009.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I told DH when he got home tonight that starting tommorrow we will be smoking outside. He kind of chuckled and said that was ok with him because he isn't home that long. I also think that he might actually do this.

2. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

No clue. Never had one, so I know not of which I speak or type!!!! But I know chocolate... that delicious gooey stuff that I have to shove down my throat with both hands when I'm stressed. Can't imagine life without it! Anyway, have you tried something like a new crosstitch project or scrapbooking? I know when I'm sewing a new project and really excited about it, I have a tendency to forget to eat (yes, even chocolate) or go to the bathroom. I'm completely focused on the sewing. It might help you pass the time.

Again, I really dont know anyting about this, but is a week realistic? Are you pushing yourself to quit too fast? I'M VERY PROUD OF YOU FOR QUITTING!!!!!

3. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I just wanted to add my support. I have never smoked but I lost 3 of my grandparents to smoking-related conditions. Probably the reason for me never wanting to even try it.

You are doing a great thing, Bobbi. You can do this. Be strong!!!!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Have gum in everyplace that you had cigs. Try grabbing for gum instead of a cig.

5. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I'm not a smoker, but several of my family members were/are smokers. Pat just decided one night to quit and that was it. He ate a lot of hard candy tho. Funny thing is he quit more for my mother than he did for me or himself. I have seen the struggles some go thru while trying to quit. I don't have any advice, just want you to know I will keep you in my prayers that you are successful at this goal.

6. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I have had my first one and I was really tempted to have it with my coffee but I waited and yes I went outside to have it.

7. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

Some of the things I have thought that I really want to get when I actually stop smoking.
    First I have to make sure all the bills are paid but this is what I can do when I stop. It may take a while to save up for it but at least I can start saving.
    new bikes for the kids
    New washer and dryer
    new bed
    laptop
    Mary a DSI
    Mark some adobe photo shop thingy and a laptop
    John whatever he decides
    Billy whatever he decides
    I won't be able to get brand new laptops for a long while but I do have a friend of ours that rebuilds them. Billy and John are still at the age that if you get them a $2 toy they are as happy as can be but there are things that are real expensive that I have seen them look at. I don't plan on taking everything that I save from not smoking everyweek to go out and get things. I am going to put a little away each week so that when I need something we will have it, hopefully. It could take me a year or more to actually get laptops, this is just something that I would like to have. It took me 3 years to get my first laptop and then it broke.

8. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Bobbi, I want to wish you luck. I can't imagine how hard it to to give it up. Every one of my immediate family smoked at some point -- except me, just couldn't wrap my brain around the idea -- and some of them still smoke to this day. My mom, who started smoking as a teenager, stopped cold turkey only about 7 years ago, and that's because she moved in with her "boyfriend" :rolleyes: and he didn't know that she had ever smoked in the first place! :eek: Weird, but it worked for her.

Good luck. I'm praying that you find the strength to stop.

9. buggle

buggle Approved members

I want to wish you luck too, Bobbi. I think not smoking with morning coffee is a really good idea. Breaking the patterns and associations is supposed to make a big difference. I remember this anti-smoking device that was out a few years ago that worked on that principal. It was a little handheld computer thing that would tell you when you could smoke -- sort of randomly and at times you don't generally smoke. Disrupting peoples' smoking patterns seems to really help. After disrupting the pattern, then it would slowly cut down the number. Guess it works for many people.

I've had a couple friends quit who were nervous, hard-core smokers. If they can do it, you can too. I hear it's really hard, but it's setting a great example for your kids and it will improve their health and yours.

Go Bobbi! :)

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

what you're really going to want when you quit is for someone to come in and wash your house top to bottom, including all your clothing/coats/furniture.
    Save your money and have your house cleaned. :) And probably have all your walls/ceilings cleaned and painted too. Trust me on this. As gross as it sounds, I smoked over 2 packs a day..in my house. Dh smoked over a pack a day. It was the most disgusting thing EVER once we stopped smoking in the house (when I quit) . I was horrified.

11. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

I'm on my first week of Chantix and it definitely does help dull the physical craving but it doesn't dim the habit of wanting a cig even though I'm not actually craving one. I tend to smoke like a chimney when I'm working on something and run into a problem and am thinking of solutions. So far I've cut my smoking in half this week but the goal is to stop smoking period.

12. shekov

shekov Approved members

Changing behavior was a HUGE thing for me. I would have to drink coffee in a different room, drive with a water bottle in my hand, etc. For me, the more I talked about it or thought about it the harder it was to NOT have that ciggy. I had to be very busy or asleep. I did sleep a lot!

I know I sound like a wacko when I say this but I was hypnotized to quit. I have no idea if it helped or not but it sure didn't hurt.

I don't think smokers ever really get over the emotional addiction. When I'm stressed I still want to smoke but since I'm not physically addicted, I don't feel like I HAVE to smoke. Does that make sense?

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

occasionally when I dream..I"m smoking in my dreams...weird huh? I quit 10 years ago.. But on a day to day basis I no longer ever want a cig anymore.

Changing behavior is the biggest thing because the physical nicotine is gone in a few days. YOu could try wearing a big rubber band on your wrist and whenever you think about a smoke, you snap that rubber band. It works.

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Nope, not weird at all. I used to dream I was smoking, or wake up craving a cig, and I didn't even smoke! However, I was around family members who smoked heavily. I craved the 2nd hand smoke.

15. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

My FIL ran out of ciggaretes and wanted my DD to bring him one of mine. I told her to let him know I only had a few left because I am trying to quit and he said for her to get one anyways and that would be one less that I would have. I am not quiting today. He then said that I can go to the store and get some. I am not going out anymore today I have gone out 4 times already today with having to go to the school for John and the store. I don't want to go out.

16. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

Smoking is the hardest thing to quit! I quit three years ago after smoking for 25 years and many previous attempts. I used the patch to quit and...this will totally crack everyone up...I am still on the patch to this day.:eek: Talk about a total Nicotine addict here! I get them off ebay so they are cheap but I am afraid to not use them as I might take up smoking again. I still, once in a while, crave the darn things to this day! My way of justifying using the patch is that at least I am avoiding the other 100's of chemicals in cigarettes by just using the patch....I am just getting the nicotine. Guess I should work on getting off the patch...someday, yeah someday...LOL.

17. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Not at all in fact I tried it too but it didn't do a thing except drain $100 from my wallet. There were a few guys I knew from a previous employer and all 3 went to a psychiatrist that specialized in quit smoking hypnosis, all 3 went in as smokers and all 3 left as non smokers who never smoked again in just 1 visit, they never had a craving when being around smokers either. By the time I got my head on straight and wanted to quit I too tried to get in touch with this psychiatrist but by that time he had already retired and nobody knew how to get in touch with him so I went to another psychiatrist that had a "stop smoking" ad but it didn't do a thing.

18. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

The Chantix does upset my stomach somedays but so far it has all been worth it.

I hope it gets easier for you. I also think if you can keep your mind on anything else it helps a lot.

19. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I fell half way off the wagon last night. But I am climbing back on it today. It could be because I didn't get to bed til 2:30 this morning and I was scared to go outside that late so I brought the ciggys in the house but I didn't smoke as much as I wanted to.

20. shekov

shekov Approved members

I still dream that I'm smoking too sometimes. Most often, as I'm smoking, I realize that I quit years ago and now have to go through that whole aweful process again and wake up feeling depressed! Then I remember that it was a dream, I am not smoking, and it's OK. :eek: