- advertisement -

Smiths Medical and Abbott

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Twinklet, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I just called Abbott to ask about their plans now that Smiths has decided to exit the diabetes business.

The rep who answered the phone was very articulate and knowledgable about both the Cozmore pump and the Navigator and was SHOCKED to learn Smiths will no longer be making the Cozmore! Apparently this was a bomb dropped on everyone.

While we were on the phone, he confirmed Smiths and Abbott were working on an integration for the Cozmore and Navigator, last he heard. He was so surprised about Smiths he was speechless for a few seconds. He even went to Smiths website to verify I was speaking the truth.

He did tell me that Abbott is in no way going to eliminate the Navigator. He said it's a new product and is selling well. He did say Abbott is working on "several new devices" for the diabetes community that will hopefully be announced later this year. I told him to pass along that many Cozmore users would like it if Abbott purchased the rights to make their pump. :)

So anyway, it is interesting to me that apparently the customer service reps at Abbott are/were unaware of the Smiths bombshell.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well, it isn't that unusual. Smiths and Abbott are two separate companies so I can see that the cs reps might not be the first to get that info.

But, since the two companies are closely related (cozmo using freestyle strips etc) and given that there were talks of integration, you would have thought that they (Abbott) would have sent out a dispatch to all their reps once they found out.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I called Animas to pay my Insets bill and I also asked can I buy my Cozmo supples from them. They said they heard the news and that they have carried the reservoirs for years. I knew that but I just didn't buy it from them.

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I just called Cozmo and bought reservoirs. The person on the phone was very nice and professional (exceptional actually given the state of affairs today). She was able to fill the order today but then gave me the names of other DME suppliers who accept our health insurance.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Was today the last day they could fill orders?

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I don't know Carol.

7. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

I was told that yesterday was.......

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

do you think we're going to have trouble getting them through the other suppliers? I've always gotten mine from Neighborhood diabetes, but I'm wondering if I should be worried?

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I don't think so . Animas has been selling the supplies for a year or so and Edgepark also.