- advertisement -

Smart watch app idea: Would it work? Would it be helpful for your child?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Sep 9, 2014.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

APP IDEA: I would be forever grateful if someone could create a smart watch app that would monitor your daily activity and, in turn, recommend a temp basal rate (particularly overnight). My son goes low after exercise, and it is difficult to predict how low (or how long it will be an issue). I thought that an app could take a baseline for several days (heart rate, perhaps distance traveled), and from there tell him if his activity for the day was at, above, or below the baseline average. Perhaps it could prompt him to add some data morning and night that would help with its calculations. For example, at night, it could ask if he is going to run a temp basal (and what percentage), and in the morning it could ask if the temp basal resulted in good numbers, highs, or lows. From there, it would know whether to recommend a temp basal (and what percentage) the next time his activity readings were the same.

What do you think?

2. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

I think it is possible. In the meantime, do you have a Dexcom G4? Check out the Nightscout program on Facebook (look for group CGM in the Cloud). We are using the Dexcom combined with a Smartphone/Pebble to monitor BGs. It has been designed by good souls sharing their work to help others.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm sure it's possible too.

While it works best with steps, I have a fitbit and it measures your activity and labels it - mild, moderate and intense in 15 minute segments through the day and then collects the daily steps and charts that against other days. After several days you will be able to see whether a day's activity was more than average, less than average or just average. It won't recommend a temp basal but you may be able to work towards your own system through trial and error.

4. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I use a fitbit this way myself. It takes some active monitoring, but I have learned to use it for setting temp basals much more usefully. Usually by steps/hour.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I think it would be cool if the bionic pancreas used an accelerometer to track activity and adjust insulin appropriately.