- advertisement -

Small school, I'm always there

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by lntmcewan, Feb 6, 2011.

1. lntmcewan

lntmcewan Approved members

My son was diagnosed type 1, 2 months ago. He goes to a VERY small school, 22 kids. It was a great idea, until 2 months ago. I have to be there every, snack, lunch and all day every field trip. Field trips happen once per week. AND I continue to volunteer once per week Thursday mornings. I am starting to feel suffocated, unable to take care of my house and family because I am constantly driving or staying at his school. He also has a kindergarten sister in regular public school. Do any of you out there do this? Try to do it all yourself? My son can check his bs, but will not give himself a shot. His bs is still fluctuating wildly at times. How do I let go and let him be a kid and let me be a mom again to both my kids and take care of myself. I'm getting angry and I know its not fair to him.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

What kind of school is he in, what grade?

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My daughter also goes to a small school - 14 kids. We applied for funding for a teacher aide BECAUSE of the adult to child ratio. There is now a teacher aide at the school who does all Rachel's care and who was trained by us. Rachel was pumping when she started school which I think made things easier.
    Will someone at school give a shot? Using an "InJect-Ease" could make it much easier for your son. How is the school trying to help you?

4. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

How old is he?

5. lntmcewan

lntmcewan Approved members

He is 9; 4th grade.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had to give himself shots at school. Even though he was dx'd at 3, he started giving shots when he was 8. What helped for me was the inject ease device: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_310.htm.

I put a note with the amount of insulin needed for lunch and syringes prefilled with 3 units more than was needed. He had a chart he would read that matched up his blood sugar with the correction (either adding or subtacting). This worked out well until he could measure out what was needed from the vial.

An adult would verify the amount in the syringe was correct.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

I just want to note that in your other thread you mentioned that he was in a type of "homeschool" situation - though the group meets together with a teacher at someone's house. There may be no one there who could give him shots like at public school. Otherwise the responses might deal with the responsibilities of a school to care for him - which your homeschool situation wouldn't be applicable.

The "inject-ease" is a great idea - we used that also and it makes it MUCH easier to give shots. We've been pumping so long I haven't tried insulin pens so I don't know what that is like.

I replied on your other thread - FYI.